• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please evaluate my sentence...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tlight38732

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? LA

First of all, a brief description of myself. A mid 30's male with a MS in biology. No prior record...only speeding tickets.

The circumstance: While working my seventh straight month of a 7-day a week schedule, I acquired 12 adderall "on loan" until I could refill my script during a "rain day." I was pulled over for improper lane usage and was issued a DUI...also charged with a felony for possessing the pills (because I admitted to the cop that I borrowed these pills from a friend until I could get to the doctor).

Ultimately, I received 2 years supervised probation and one day in jail (served one already). This has already cost me $10,000 and will ultimately cost me my $180k/year job because my probation will presumably not allow me to leave the state for work (I work in a new state every 6 to 8 months).

I have a ton of questions regarding my situation, but first and foremost...why would the judicial system allow such a gross injustice to occur? In my brief experience with the legal system, I conclude that the system is designed to BREED criminals, not rehabilitate them. I have so much anger and spite toward everyone involved in this process, including my lawyers. I'm currently more cynical and pessimistic than I'd EVER imagined I would--or COULD--ever be...

To turn a man's life upside down over one mistake...is...incredible. I agree with the DUI and the penalty it conjures, but the felony is utterly ABSURD!!!! If someone of importance out there is reading this...you should be ASHAMED of not having some system of checks and balances to prevent a DA's office from acting like ****'s...for not being able to operate within the gray matter and discerning appropriate case-specific solutions commensurate with the character of the accused. I could have easily been granted a "diversion," but heaven forbid someone actually help another human learn a lesson without totally ruining his life. The legal system is a model example of the hypocrisy that defines our social structure.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

First of all, a brief description of myself. A mid 30's male with a MS in biology. No prior record...only speeding tickets.

The circumstance: While working my seventh straight month of a 7-day a week schedule, I acquired 12 adderall "on loan" until I could refill my script during a "rain day." I was pulled over for improper lane usage and was issued a DUI...also charged with a felony for possessing the pills (because I admitted to the cop that I borrowed these pills from a friend until I could get to the doctor).

Ultimately, I received 2 years supervised probation and one day in jail (served one already). This has already cost me $10,000 and will ultimately cost me my $180k/year job because my probation will presumably not allow me to leave the state for work (I work in a new state every 6 to 8 months).

I have a ton of questions regarding my situation, but first and foremost...why would the judicial system allow such a gross injustice to occur? In my brief experience with the legal system, I conclude that the system is designed to BREED criminals, not rehabilitate them. I have so much anger and spite toward everyone involved in this process, including my lawyers. I'm currently more cynical and pessimistic than I'd EVER imagined I would--or COULD--ever be...

To turn a man's life upside down over one mistake...is...incredible. I agree with the DUI and the penalty it conjures, but the felony is utterly ABSURD!!!! If someone of importance out there is reading this...you should be ASHAMED of not having some system of checks and balances to prevent a DA's office from acting like ****'s...for not being able to operate within the gray matter and discerning appropriate case-specific solutions commensurate with the character of the accused. I could have easily been granted a "diversion," but heaven forbid someone actually help another human learn a lesson without totally ruining his life. The legal system is a model example of the hypocrisy that defines our social structure.
YOU committed a crime. YOU committed a felony. YOU had illegal possession of drugs that you were NOT allowed to have. You had no prescription for them. YOU ruined your own life. YOU made the decision to commit a felony. YOU made the decision not to go to the doctor and get your prescription refilled. YOU are the one to blame for all the outcomes of your life. Seriously they went EASY on you. You could have ended up with far more jail time.

Tallrat

You need to hire an attorney to petition a modification of your probation to allow for work. Did your attorney not attempt this during the original proceeding?

cyjeff

Wouldn't it have been much easier to just say, "It isn't my fault that I was illegally carrying drugs, it is the system's fault for punishing me?"

I am sure you have heard the phrase, "If you can't do the time, don't do the time."

Oh, and I will throw the BS flag on the whole "got pills to cover myself for a few days until I could get to the doctor" thing.

You could have phoned in a prescription.
You could have put the pills in an old prescription bottle.

Instead, they were in a baggie in your pocket during your DUI.

Yeah, sure you had a prescription. Sure.

racer72

Typical criminal thinking, blaming everyone but themself. You screwed yourself, no one else did. Get over the self pity and man up and accept the fact you, and you alone screwed up.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You need to hire an attorney to petition a modification of your probation to allow for work. Did your attorney not attempt this during the original proceeding?
If he switches states every 6 to 8 months that would involve the other state accepting him to deal with his probation there.

Tallrat

We cannot predict that.
My answer though was not based on predicition, It was based on what he stated. Which is all you have to go by.

And it isn't a first offense.

he had a DUI as well, remember.

He got the dui during the stop, Not a prior

cyjeff

My answer though was not based on predicition, It was based on what he stated. Which is all you have to go by.

He got the dui during the stop, Not a prior
If you commit several crimes simultaneously, it doesn't mean you get to look at all of them as a first offense.

Tallrat

If you commit several crimes simultaneously, it doesn't mean you get to look at all of them as a first offense.
Keep grasping :rolleyes: You are focusing way to hard on OP's rant and not his question. Bottom line is, If he get's a lawyer and petitions his parole so he may continue working and this was his first offense he has a decent chance of it happening. Guaranteed? Nope and I never said that either. I have seen people with much worse crimes get better deals

Last edited:

las365

So OP thought that the Judge would see how well educated and highly paid and special he is, and these ridiculous, unfair charges against him would be summarily dismissed. Racer72, you said its typical criminal thinking, but really, I think its the typical thought process of an addict.

...discerning appropriate case-specific solutions commensurate with the character of the accused.
OP, if you get yourself to an AA or NA meeting, you can learn a lot about yourself, including your character defects. Just sayin...

In any event, I agree with Tallrat about getting another lawyer and working toward trying to work out a change to your probation. You should keep in mind that approaching the horrible system with some humility and acceptance of responsibility is likely to get you better results than acting like an arrogant jerk in denial.

OP, remember this. You are exhibiting extremely common uses of what are known as Criminal Thinking Errors. You have to stop this. Realize that it was you that had prescription meds without a script, and that's why you're on here asking questions.

Now, with that said, Probation Officers are an extension of the Court. They work for the Judge. They are there to make sure that you comply with all requirements and conditions as set forth by the Judge during your time of Community Supervision, aka Probation.

Even though the Probation Officer is saying no to any permission to travel or to transfer your probation to another city or state, that doesn't mean it's not going to happen. Get an Attorney that will actually do something FOR you, especially since you're the one that will be paying him/her. Petition the Court for the changes you need. Once the Judge orders these changes, the Probation Officer has no other choice but to facilitate the transfer.

Do not get lippy with the Probation Officer at any time. You may wind up being supervised by that same Officer again at sometime in the future. Seriously, stop with the Criminal Thinking Errors, accept responsibility, because we all know you can't change what you don't first acknowledge.

As far as the design of the criminal justice system, it's all about money. That's why there are more laws that govern every single move we make, so that we can be arrested or cited or penalized in one fashion or another, to have to pay for longer periods of time, so they can keep their budgets high. We no longer live in the land of the free. Think about it.

outonbail

I believe it was Jimmy Carter who said, "when the punishment for drugs does more damage than the drugs themselves do, we have an injustice"

or something to that effect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">