• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help Me.. Mother in Jail.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missashahlee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My mom has prior drug charges for Crack Cocaine on her record within the past two years. I don't know the specifics but the LAPD and her Public Defender aren't quite helping me. I know some of the charges are posession of a controlled substance and one was for loitering. When she was arrested at the end of last year, the court made her go to court mandated rehab. She didn't go, but instead got picked up for two more posession of controlled substance charges and one transport of sales. No one can tell me where throughout the trial process she is at, or what she's pleaded. But knowing my mom, she would have pleaded guilty. What I'm wondering is, what is she looking at in terms of punshiment. Is this something that she could go to prison for? Or just do ninety days at the local county jail. I know CA has the three strikes law, but I am not sure if that just covers the violent crimes like rape, car jacking, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

CdwJava

When she was arrested at the end of last year, the court made her go to court mandated rehab. She didn't go, but instead got picked up for two more posession of controlled substance charges and one transport of sales.
Oops! So, she violated probatiion AND picked up a couple all new felonies. Not good.

No one can tell me where throughout the trial process she is at, or what she's pleaded.
You can go to the court house where she will be tried at and look up at that information. Court cases are a matter of public record.

But knowing my mom, she would have pleaded guilty. What I'm wondering is, what is she looking at in terms of punshiment. Is this something that she could go to prison for? Or just do ninety days at the local county jail.
Since she will likely be sentenced to time for failing her probation, and has time for her new felonies, chances are she will do county time plus a long time on probation and in rehab. While prison is theoretically possible, it is highly unlikely.

I know CA has the three strikes law, but I am not sure if that just covers the violent crimes like rape, car jacking, etc.
This is not a three strikes issue.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">