• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Evidence Is Inaccurate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rose Alee

At a concert my friend along with a group of people where rushed and surrounded by the Mississippi Police, some beaten, and most taken to jail. My friend was held for possession of valium, bonded and released. After missing a court date or to he returned to Mississippi to face the charges. Once there, he has been accused of posessing 3 other drugs. Supposedly the police have these drugs in evidence. How does he contest the charges he did not commit? Is it possible evidence was mixed up? There were tons of people arrested at the same time all with drugs.

F

FKNA

The question is: What does the original police report say? That report will state what drugs they found on him at point of the arrest and can NOT be ammended at a later date.

Is your friend currently back in jail?

R

Rose Alee

Yes. He turned himself in 3 months ago (almost a year after the offense). Another point that must be made is that he never received notification of ANY of the court dates he missed. Is there some sort of likely countersuit or dismissal because the Mississippi government failed to follow the correct steps?

F

FKNA

Three months? Has he already been convicted or is he still awaiting trial?

What correct steps did they fail to follow? Basically this is the sequence that things occur.

1) Get arrested
2) Post bond
3) Get court date
4) Fail to appear in court
5) DA requests to have bond revoked and arrest warrant issued (which will be granted)

So you see, your friend missed the court date therefore the state can then issue a warrant for their arrest. So, as far as a counter suit, you have nothing.

What needs to be concentrated upon is what he was arrested for and what he is charged with. So it's really important to find out what is in that police report. Once you know that, then we can find out what your next step can be.

R

Rose Alee

Thanks so much! I'll get on that. In the meantime, what books/reference materials should I look for to determine if there have been any precedents in Mississippi where the police did skew the evidence and the plaintiff won? How do I know if other people have complained about evidence being wrong but haven't taken it to trial?

F

FKNA

The Internet is a wonderful research tool. Use a search engine to see if you can find any cases.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">