• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Phone Call

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jricen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My friend was taking part in a drug deal for a couple pills. He waited in his car in a parking lot and his connection came to the car and got the money and said that he would be back soon because he wasn't currently holding them and had to get them from another guy. His connection walked away and said he would be back in 5 minutes. After ten minutes my friend called him and his connection said "give me 2 minutes i am waking this guy up". Another ten minutes pass and my friend calls him again. This time a man asked who was calling and my friend gave his name. The person on the phone said he was detective ********* with the police. He informed my friend that the person who owns this phone was involved in an undercover drug sting and said they had been watching this place for 6 months and said that the recently arrested person asked that if someone called they be be informed what happened and to contact his girlfriend. The officer then accused my friend of being involved in the drug deal because he was calling the same time as the person was arrested for drugs. My friend said that the person arrested was just a friend and didn't even know that he did drugs and was just calling to see what he was up to today. The officer said it couldnt be a coincidence and that if my friend was involved in the drug deal he would find out. He pressed for more information and for my friend to confess, but he didnt. The officer didnt even make my friend give a last name. The officer then said he was giving the phone and other personal belongings of the person who was just arrested over to one of his friends. Does this mean that the police are done with the phone, and by extension, my friend? Is there any legal recourse the police can take if his connection decides to rat my friend out, seeing how it would be just his word against my friend? He also wants to know if this is grounds to get a search warrant. My friend is very scared because this is something he hardly ever does and wants to know if its possible for any charges to be brought against them or if the police can do anything at all to him, especially if the person arrested says that he was getting stuff for my friend. Im sorry this was so long, but i promised my friend i would try to find something out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

Tell your friend to find a lawyer and not to talk to the police without consulting with the lawyer first. He's in deep trouble,

jricen

Can you explain why he would be in trouble? What charges could they bring him up for and using what evidence? besides of course the word of his connection.

FlyingRon

Can you explain why he would be in trouble? What charges could they bring him up for and using what evidence? besides of course the word of his connection.
Your friend was attempting to purchase drugs which would be a felony.
The dealer may or may not be convincing evidence, but what your friend already admitted to, was observed doing, etc.. .may be enough to secure a conviction. Do not screw around with felonies. Use the right to remain silent rather than giving more assistance to the prosecution.

jricen

Your friend was attempting to purchase drugs which would be a felony.
The dealer may or may not be convincing evidence, but what your friend already admitted to, was observed doing, etc.. .may be enough to secure a conviction. Do not screw around with felonies. Use the right to remain silent rather than giving more assistance to the prosecution.

He was not observed doing anything and did not admit to anything. He just said he was calling to see what the person was up to that day. His connection apparently doesn't even know my friends last name and either does the police because they never pressed for it during the phone conversation. Wouldn't he be arrested on the spot if he was observed trying to buy drugs? Also, wouldn't the police wait for his connection to deliver the drugs so that both my friend could be arrested for possession and his connection could be arrested for trafficking/selling if they had already known that my friend was purchasing drugs from him? I thank you for your help, it is very much appreciated.

tranquility

I don't think "attempt" is the proper charge as the deal was not near enough to completion. Conspiracy to possess is the more likely charge.

Bottom line is for friend to STFU and, if ever contacted by the police again, to see an attorney.

dave33

Considering the situation, your friend has at least been smart enough not to make any statements. Make sure he keeps it that way. He has no idea what the detectives are up to. This could very easily be an on going investigation. Do not attempt to handle any part of this situation yourselves. These men are not there to help him in any way. If anything comes of this, retain counsel and do not be fooled or manipulated into incriminating himself.goodluck.

cyjeff

Your friend needs to also consider that the guy that took his money was under surveillance at that time as well.

jricen

Your friend needs to also consider that the guy that took his money was under surveillance at that time as well.
If he was under surveillance, wouldn't it make more sense for the police to arrest my friend on the spot instead of having to track him down at a later date? And does anyone know anymore possible charges that my friend could be charged with? Everyones help is very much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

cyjeff

If he was under surveillance, wouldn't it make more sense for the police to arrest my friend on the spot instead of having to track him down at a later date? And does anyone know anymore possible charges that my friend could be charged with? Everyones help is very much appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Not if they were trying to find out where the stuff was bought.... which is pretty much the way it happened.

JKBee

Didn't the police automatically get his name from the phone's caller ID? Even if this was blocked, the phone records will still be available to the police if they wish to pursue this.

If your friend has not purchased drugs on any kind of regular basis, it is likely that he is such a small fish that no one is going to be really interested in him, anyway. They usually make deals that take them up the food chain, not down it.

outonbail

If I were a betting man, I'd say that your friend never spoke to the police and that his connection never got busted by anyone.

What he did was get burned for the money he handed his connection. If the connection never returned, he would have been looking for him and his money. As it sits now, your friend doesn't care about the connection or his money right?

I just think that the police saying all these things to him over the phone is a lot of BS. Probably one of his connections other friends.

Tell him not to be so stupid and stop trying to buy pills from street dealers or he will eventually end up in jail or the morgue.

If he needs a pill, have him see a doctor.

outonbail

It must be some sort of phenomenon how every criminal/suspect/fugitive/bad guy/defendant has a friend with an Internet connection who can research their legal predicament for them. ;)

Or is it that every law abiding citizen with an Internet connection knows a criminal/suspect/fugitive/bad guy/defendant who either made their first mistake, or was in the wrong place at the wrong time? :cool:

Just wondering in print,,,,, about another one of those strange unexplained things that make me go Hmmmmmm?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">