• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Profiling, How far is too far?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kjizzle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA
I want to run this by the legal eagles here.
I have a very nice dodge charge with all the chrome etc hemi all the bells and whistles. I am not a drug dealer I just like cars.
The police have been profiling me for sometime now, finally they stopped me when they said I had pulled out in front of them and they suspected drug use or dealing. Now lets get this absolutely straight they thought because I was driving this type of car I had to be a drug dealer. I do know drug dealers drive these types but should that stop me from having the car I have saved 5 years for?
They searched the car top to bottom and again and again they did this with different officers doing the search. I have never done or dea ed drugs. drugs to me is my pain meds I have scripts for and the test to prove I need them and take them. I know someone else got ridiculed for their drug use here so let me make it very clear I take what is prescribed to me when I need it. I do not take them everyday in fact.
I sought out the tapes from local stores right where I was stopped and at 100$ a pop I got every one (three in all )that showed I did not pull out in front of anyone and the extensive searches by several officers.
My point and question is why should I have to pay for the drug dealers and their crimes, I am a tax paying, hard working citizen who just happens to like cars. I still have the 67 dodge charger my dad and I restored and I drove during high school. I think this police profiling has gone haywire they had been following me for awhile and if going to the grocery store to get milk and going to the mall for new Nike's is being drug dealer then hey I am I guess.
What do you think about police and them profiling people incorrectly? Is this acceptable because in the end they may get one? I am all for taking the dealers and the addicts down and I will help any way I can but I don't see this as helping. I am angry I was even stopped.

kjizzle

I am at a loss here, this is the first and only thread I have started. Is there as similar one here?
I don't really see this as "my troubles" I am angry it happened but the reason I even posted it was to get some feed back from the legal minds here. I have spoke to my attorney I just thought some of you might have an opinion.

Last edited:

CdwJava

The police have been profiling me for sometime now,
Most "profiling" is lawful. Only if they pull you over solely because you are a person of a perceived protected class, or if they do so without cause is it unlawful or actionable.

finally they stopped me when they said I had pulled out in front of them and they suspected drug use or dealing. Now lets get this absolutely straight they thought because I was driving this type of car I had to be a drug dealer.
If they pulled you over without cause, then you should consult an attorney with regards to an unlawful detention. However, I suspect they will articulate some form of traffic violation to justify the stop.

- Carl

kjizzle

Most "profiling" is lawful. Only if they pull you over solely because you are a person of a perceived protected class, or if they do so without cause is it unlawful or actionable.

If they pulled you over without cause, then you should consult an attorney with regards to an unlawful detention. However, I suspect they will articulate some form of traffic violation to justify the stop.

- Carl
I have the tapes proving I did not pull out in front of them, I am the type person if you tell me I am wrong and I am not I will go to any length to prove my innocence or point. You are right of course they can just make up another traffic violation and this is why I did not pursue it. I know and the officers involved know they only stopped me because of the type and look of the car I was driving. I have talked to several police officers and Sheriff deputy's and they all said the same thing, they do profile but it is how they catch a lot of people but would they admit it in court no way :eek:. I guess it could be and is a tool they use to catch the bad guys and while I am all for catching the bad guys I don't want to be wrongfully accused either.
Thank you so much for your reply:)

BlondiePB

kjizzle, you have one MEAN car for a girly girl. :eek:

Soooooo, why not make friends with the cops and get to know them?

BlondiePB

Originally Posted by kjizzle
Blondie and shay-pari'e

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey don't leave me out! I don't tan the traditional way I go to the tanning bed daily. My friend and I got one together and we tan in her garage. I love boating and my husband dives all the time in the springs we have here. Have you ever heard of Branford, the best diving in the world some say. I can't say I have given up the make up though I have to have mine or I feel naked, at least some mascara. We have a platoon boat which we rarely use and a speed boat and have a river house on the ichetucknee.
Oh and I forgot to add I have blonde hair too. What is the name of your boats, ours is the job, for the speed boat so when someone ask where are you we can say on the job, or where are you going we are going to the JOB.
The platoon boat is the party place, how original huh? My husband named that one. I named the job because people are always calling or asking where I am going or at
Since the other thread was closed sista, I put this here. Great name for the boat, BTW.

Yes, I've heard of Branford. It would take me about 3-4 hrs. to drive there. Don't know how you can stand living so far inland. Sheesh, when the winds come from the west in the summer here it gets pretty toasty.

You live here in FL and use a tanning bed? :confused: In case you didn't know, those tanning beds are worse than being in the sun. Just 20-30 minutes in one is equivalent to 8 hours of being in the sun.

I've never dived up there in the springs where a lot of manatee hang out, just did some ocean diving. I still can snorkel, but if the current is too strong, it's too hard on my back to go against the current. Thursday, I'll be going snorkeling. Hide tide will be at just the right time of day.

At the BBQ this evening (on the Intracoastal), there was a manatee hanging around. They're so amazing.

kjizzle

Since the other thread was closed sista, I put this here. Great name for the boat, BTW.

Yes, I've heard of Branford. It would take me about 3-4 hrs. to drive there. Don't know how you can stand living so far inland. Sheesh, when the winds come from the west in the summer here it gets pretty toasty.

You live here in FL and use a tanning bed? :confused: In case you didn't know, those tanning beds are worse than being in the sun. Just 20-30 minutes in one is equivalent to 8 hours of being in the sun.

I've never dived up there in the springs where a lot of manatee hang out, just did some ocean diving. I still can snorkel, but if the current is too strong, it's too hard on my back to go against the current. Thursday, I'll be going snorkeling. Hide tide will be at just the right time of day.

At the BBQ this evening (on the Intracoastal), there was a manatee hanging around. They're so amazing.
I know it does get hot, I would much rather be back in pensacola but my family is in the logging business here. I can't stand being in the Sun unless I am at the beach or the springs/river and we haven't been able to get there much this year. I love the tanning bed it gives you a nice all over tan with no lines. The springs here are great you should try them out. My husband loves diving there. I know a lot of divers have died over the years in the caves and I am always telling my husband not to go in the caves but he tells me he is experienced and knows what he is dong, it still drives me crazy worrying about him down there.
I love my car, my first car was a 67 Dodge charger so when the new ones came out I had to have one. Thanks for the reply:)

BlondiePB

I know it does get hot, I would much rather be back in pensacola but my family is in the logging business here. I can't stand being in the Sun unless I am at the beach or the springs/river and we haven't been able to get there much this year. I love the tanning bed it gives you a nice all over tan with no lines. The springs here are great you should try them out. My husband loves diving there. I know a lot of divers have died over the years in the caves and I am always telling my husband not to go in the caves but he tells me he is experienced and knows what he is dong, it still drives me crazy worrying about him down there.
I love my car, my first car was a 67 Dodge charger so when the new ones came out I had to have one. Thanks for the reply:)
I can't scuba dive anymore because of the neck injury. :(

Cave diving requires special diving training. If hubby doesn't have that training and/or goes into those caves himself I'd be worried too.

Now that a bridge over the Intracoastal is close for repairs until Sept., it takes me longer than 3 min. to get to the beach.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">