• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Poss Controlled Substance under 1 Gram - Meth

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wenpeek

What is the name of your state? Texas

My partner was arrested in Dallas County back in February 2006 on a possession of a controlled substance under 1 gram. He was able to make bail and was released. On December 14, 2006 he was arrested again but this time in Tarrant County and was charged with the same charge (poss controlled sub under 1 gr). It was at that time I found out that Dallas County had put a $100,000.00 bond on him (originally $1,500.00) because he missed his scheduled court date and issued a warrant for his arrest.

On March 27, 2007 he was finally charged and sentenced on the Tarrant County charge to 6 months state jail time. Luckily they allowed him to apply his time he has served since his arrest to his sentence which left about 70 days left on his sentence.

While he was in Tarrant County jail he was given some paperwork to fill out and was told that he could get his time served while in Tarrant County applied to the Dallas County charge. The first question that popped into my mind when he told me this was, "How can you apply time served to something that you have never officially been charged with?" So I started doing some research and found out the case # and court assigned to his Dallas County charge and spoke with the Court Coordinator. She told me that she had never heard of this ever being done before and not to mention she has never received any such paperwork.

So here is my question and any advice would be a tremendous help. What is the best way to proceed with this charge in Dallas County? Should we try and get the process started and try to get him a court date set in Dallas while he is serving out the rest of his Tarrant County sentenance in the hopes of a quicker resolution? I don't want to get my heart set on having him home again once he's released in June only to have Dallas County waiting there to pick him up and take him back to jail and this whole miserable process started over again.

Please let me know if any further clarification is needed. Thanks for the help.
What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">