• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

poss. of pot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

abacadaba

when applying for jobs do they ask if u have been convicted of a crime or a felony?

F

FKNA

Depends on the employer. In most cases they ask only if you have ever been convicted of a felony. But as I stated, really depends on the employer. Some will ask if you have been convicted of ANY crime, misdemeanor or felony.

H

Humble Warrior

So what are you trying to say?......You have never had a job?

A

abacadaba

Humble,
How does that relate to the question at all. I came to this forum to get help and answers not to receive smart ass coments. And, yes I have had jobs but i play var. baseball and football throughout the year with summer being to complete my 40 workouts, in which i helped my dad build a 3000 gallon fish pond, and winter is used for baseball training, even though i did work at a christmas tree lot. So, in the future it would be helpful to respond with answers worthy of reading instead of trying to be a jack ass.
thank you FKNA for your answer.

H

Humble Warrior

So in other words the answer is "NO".
It depends on the application. Most ask,damn few actually check. What the hell are 40 workouts? and all the rest of that crap? I didnt get a word of it,and I read it three times.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The state of NC has no laws either forbidding or requiring employers to ask about felony convictions. It's up to the employer. Some will, some won't.

T

tamwham2

texas

i have heard that an application cant ask you if you have ever been arrested, they CAN ask if you have ever been convicted.

is that true?

F

FKNA

tamwham2....yes, that is true. After all, a mere arrest is not a conviction.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That is true in most states, Tam. There are a few where an employer can ask about both.

A

abacadaba

elle,
Thank you very much for your wonderful replies. I stated that i play sports because I felt the need to defend myself. I am also a member of the National Honor Society, captain of my football team, vol. with Habitat for Humanity and have a 4.0 GPA, so i cant be that bad of a person, could I. Sports take up most of my year with maybe a little bit of free time in the winter in which i worked at a tree lot. And in the summer i had to complete 40 football workouts, as our coach set that goal. And my job last summer was to help my dad build a huge pond that took up all of the summer plus more. You do not know me at all, so i don't see how you can say that I have no respect. I just felt that the response from humble had nothing to do with the question that i asked as did your response. And don't try to say that i am a evil person because i got caught with drugs, i made a mistake and i realize that and i came on here to see if a interviewer 10 years from now would ask if i've been convicted of a crime or a felony. If I'm gonna get treated like an idiot because i commited a crime than it might be best for me to get advice from a different source. But, thanks to those who gave useful responses.

abacadaba

A

abacadaba

Also, does anybody have any info. on the 9690 program?
thanks
abacadaba

F

FKNA

ellencee said:
everyone needs to read the 2nd post from abacadaba. it is a prime example of how so many of our young people are brought up with absolutely no respect for others. This writer plays sports and plays sports and plays sports, yet obviously has plenty of time for being arrested, if not convicted, and absolutely no time to learn respect for others, especially his 'elders'.
What team did you play for abacadaba? the one where the q-back was arrested for drugs and concealed weapons? the one where the q-back was arrested for robbing a fast food restaurant? the one where the line backer was arrested for mugging and robbery? and, to all you readers, these boys were allowed to play the whole season before facing their charges.
I hope you do not find a job, abacadaba, and make the rest of us in NC have to put up with your surly attitude.
ellencee....what's this crap? Why would you wish for ANYONE to NOT get a job? If someone is NOT a productive member of society, then the rest of us pay their way. abacadaba I do not hold the same views that ellencee has. I personally do not consider you a "criminal" just because you asked a question. Nor do I think "respect" should be given due solely upon ones age.

So you made a mistake abacadaba....no big deal. What really matters if you learn from your mistakes. Some will come in here with a holier than thou attitude as if they NEVER make any mistakes. But people like you and me know it's not true, we are all human.

Since one of you latter posts mentioned that you are concerned as to what may happen 10 years down the road. The best thing to do when apply for a job is to be TRUTHFUL. If you are not, that is something that employers really frown upon. i.e. if they ask you if you ever have been convicted of drugs, say no, and they find that you have been in the background investigation...then you're screwed. On the other hand, if you're truthful with the application, that is points in your favor.

M

MomStepmom

Just my comments...

abacadaba, I am proud that you are thinking about your future and I hope have learned a very good lesson. Drugs do nothing to help you, they can just hurt you in the long run. I wish my son had thought a little more about it before he ended up behind bars. Life is hard enough with out you trying to "escape" the real world for a while, and end up making things even harder for yourself.

Ellen, I just have one thing to say to you....God help your children if they ever need you to stand behind them if they make mistakes.

Humble, I would think you would get tired of saying things rude just to keep everyones attention. You would be more appreciated by either being professional or kind. We who come here have real problems to deal with...and need good advice or a few kind words to make the hurt a little more tolerable. So start helping without being so rude, please.

And those of you who make no mistakes, and are perfect....you are in the wrong place. Do not judge those around you, for you just may be judged harshly yourselves...Someday.

ellencee

abacadaba
I appreciate the manner in which you expressed yourself in your subsequent posts, and I am sure that your temper got the best of you, and that's OK. You must be an OK guy if you can accept constructive criticism and even an admonishment! Congrats!
As a show of appreciation, I have deleted my prior postings.
I will add that I am tired of what I believe to be the intent of some officers to arrest young for something, even if they have to arrest for pot possession when nothing else turns up. I hope that this will not put a blight on your future at all.

MomStepMom
Do you see yourself in your last paragraph? I do.
And, my parental role and relationships with my children needs no defense.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">