• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

poss. on residue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

j111887

What is the name of your state? Florida
Hi, I was arrested and had a digital scale in my possession, I had only used this scale for legal activities, but had let many other people use it to weigh jewelry and whatnot. The police searched my car and found the scale, and they say a few white specks of dust on it tested positive for cocaine, i was then charged with drug para. and poss. cocaine. Can they charge me with possession just for a residue on the scale that wasn't even mine??

j111887

I was told that an actual volume has to be obtained to charge me with felony poss., but they could still get me on the para. charge, and yes i did use the scale for jewelry and GOLD, if you were wondering. I try and get gold wholesale and pawn it by the gram. I also use the scale for weighing out different amounts of protein and creatine, because i frequent a local gym, guess i should have been more specific than "whatnot."

CJane

Heh. And the kids that used to come into the big box office supply store I worked at when I was in college were really buying those scales to weigh mail and stuff.

CavemanLawyer

Some drugs need to be of a certain amount before you can be charged with possession. For instance, marijuana typically has to be a "usable amount" before you can be charged with it. Check your state's drug laws but in most places there is no such quantity amount for cocaine. As long as there is enough of the drug to test, that's all that is needed. And it only takes a trace amount of cocaine to test it.

j111887

Well thank you everyone for the advice, now I guess all that's left for me to do is get a lawyer and try to avoid jail time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">