• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

poss. under half oz

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vkrandoff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

heres the deal.. i went to do a favor for a friend of mine and meet a guy for some marijuana.( i don't even smoke) anyways right after i got it i started to back out of the parking space and a cop was standing at my window.. i had laid the bag in my cup holder beside of me.. well he asked me what i was doing and i just looked down and shook my head.. he asked what was in the bag so i handed it to him.. he asked me to get out and i did and a lady cop pulled up and was extremely nice to me and i was completely honest with them .. so they ended up just giveing me a ticket for possesion under a half ounce.. and let me go home to my family.. i have to go to court and i have not been in trouble of any kind since i was 17.. i am 24.. never had a speeding ticket that i didn't take a class to get it taken off.. so what i am trying to figure out is i used a pre trial deversion when i was 16 on a simple possesion charge ( thats when i quit smokeing) what options do i have.. i am guilty cause they cought me read handed i just don't wanna lose my job what can i do.. pls help me asap..thanks and god bless

michaelpotter52

things to know

Some things to know before you read.
IN NO WAY IS ANY OF THIS LEGAL ADVICE. I AM NOT A LAWYER OR A POLICE OFFICER AND THEREFORE CAN NOT GIVE ANY LEGAL ADVICE.

1st Never panic when encountered with law enforcement personel
2nd You have a right to remain silent
3rd Read up on your constitutional rights. (Amendment 4 "Improper search and seizure") the reason I bring this up is because if the cop asked you what was in the bag, then he/she probably had no idea what the contents were. If you didn't hand it over, you probably would not have been cited for anything.
4th If asked to step out of the vehicle, close your door behind you. Open doors make it hard for you to refuse a search.
5th Just because you think you in trouble, you may not be.
6th It is your RIGHT as an American to refuse search of your house, car or personal property, (Book bags, purses etc.) Just because you refuuse a search does not give a police officer "Probable cause" to search. Probable cause is what is needed to search for any instances.

But thats all in the past now. You were in possession of marijuana so you will most likely be charged with Possession of Marijuana <4 oz. (A misdeamenor) I agree with LSCAP, get a lawyer for your court hearing.
As for the job, I don't know the rules for your work place, but if convicted of Possession, It would be a very wise idea to inform your employer before he/she finds out on their own. Try to reason/negotiate with them. IE. 2 weeks suspension without pay. It may suck but it's better than being fired.

I hope you find this useful in your endevors and I wish you luck.

Again, in no way is any of this page legal advice.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">