• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possesion charge question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AnyoneAnywhere

Possesion charge question, please help

Kansas

Myself and 2 friends were caught smoking in a car. both friends had sacks on them, and there was another sack in the backseat in a backpack next to me. We all got charged with possession (even though no marijuana was found on me). The amount in the backpack was < 1/2 grams. The backpack, and contents were not mine.

The owner of the vehicle (who also owned the backpack) got a charge from a sack found on him.

IF they owner of the sack/backpack/car takes responsibility for the backpack, will my charge be dropped?

in the case it will be, does this mean the owner will get 2 charges, or just one? TOTAL amount the owner had (on him, and including the backpack) is <1.5 grams.

This is also the owners first offense, if he admits both the sack on him and the one in the backpack were his, will he still have a shot at diversion?

This is all from a charge that happened late December, the first week of February is our first appearance we're supposed to make at the municipal court.

IN the case the owner is going to take responsability, do I need to call and tell the prosecutor asap of whats going to take place, or wait for the court date? (we both go at the same time)

Last edited:

The Occultist

Possession has absolutely nothing to do with ownership. Twenty people can be charged for possession with the same gram of marijuana. Somebody claiming full responsibility and completely denying that the other passengers had knowledge of the marijuana MIGHT persuade the courts to drop the issue with the passengers, but that's not something you should count on.

In other words you can be 100% innocent and still get screwed

in this country. Let the courts settle it out huh? After you pay thousands of dollars and lose 10 years of your life due to stress.

so, 20 people can be charged with possession**************.I love the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">