• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possesion of Meth

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ceremony

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

I would like to know what the meth laws in New Mexico are and how much meth constitutes a felony. Also I would like to know what will happen if you have a probation violtaion and now this new charge..

smutlydog

Ceremony said:

I would like to know what the meth laws in New Mexico are and how much meth constitutes a felony. Also I would like to know what will happen if you have a probation violtaion and now this new charge..
If you violated the terms of probation and then on top of that were charged with another crime then that would not be good.

What was the probation violation?

I have seen people hire lawyers in situations like this and end up in inpatient rehabs rather than prison.
Your lawyer will have to convince the judge that you were not given a reasonable opportunity for rehabilitation.

Without even assessing you or the person you are speaking of this sounds like someone with a drug problem that needs help.

Ceremony

Charges

Thank you for suck a quick response. I am stepmother to two children whose mother was recently arrested on a 10,00 Magistrate warrant, and while being arrested she was in possesion of paraphenilia, and methamphetamines. She was brought to the jail under these chrages, but was not charged with child endangerment even though her 3 year old son was in the room on the floor where the meth was found.

I am not sure what her other probation violation stems from, it could be from any numberous activities, malicious use of the telephone, harassmant or some other charge.
Nothing seems to be happening so far and she is still in jail on a $650 bond.
Her previous charges , the reasons of which she is on probation for are:
1. 2 counts of Forgery
2. Conceiling Identity
3. Driving on a suspended or revoked license.
4. Theft of Idenity
5. Speeding

Joi in Arizona

Big Problems

I can tell you that with the rap sheet your mom( ?) has she is not going to be offered a walk. Probation violations usually are handled in what is called a revocation hearing. Some states do not allow for new charges if they are going to proceed with the revocation hearing. Some states feel that it is a form of double jeopary if charges are brought for the same thing that was adjudicated in the revocation hearing. Bottomline, I hope someone in the family has the money for a good attorney, or pray for a public defender that is not too burned out yet!:eek:

Joi in Arizona

Ceremony said:

In most states poss. of meth is a felony, regardless of the amount. But the DA can offer something like poss. of para which can be either felony or misdemeanor as part of a plea agreement. To find out for sure, go to www,ask.com and search for New Mexico state laws drugs criminal. You should be able to find out if I am right about meth being a felony regardless of the amount.
Good luck to you and yours

Ceremony

What Happens Now/ Meth possesion?

The case was sent to District Court. I am not sure what the difference is between Magistrate Court and District court. Can someone help me to understand what this all means and what may happen next. I am not law savvy and would liike a run down of what the outcome of all this may be. Thanks in advance.:)

Betty

Ceremony said:
The case was sent to District Court. I am not sure what the difference is between Magistrate Court and District court. Can someone help me to understand what this all means and what may happen next. I am not law savvy and would liike a run down of what the outcome of all this may be. Thanks in advance.:)
Magistrate courts usually hear less serious offenses such as civil cases & misdemeanor criminal cases. A district court hears more serious offenses such as felonies.
A lawyer's help is needed & we can't tell you definitely what the outcome will be. That would be up to the judge.

Ceremony

Work Release???

:confused: Well so far my step childrens mother has been to court for two counts of Harassment of the telephone. She of course pleaded not guilty because it is a felony and she is already on probation for her previous felonies. She was granted work release, which seems pointless because she doesn't even have a job, and seems like just a way for her to get out for awhile and terrorize my husband and myself. So frusterating. Although from what I understand because she also has yet another trial coming up in a week for the possesion of meth, abandonment or abuse of a child, and the possesion of paraphenilia charge and again another trial for her probation revocation, she must first get the other judges "OK" for work release in order to get out on furlough. Still I feel so disappointed in the justice system right now, and am fully expecting her to get out and terrorize us again.

Old Charges she is currently on Probation for:
1. 2 counts of Forgery
2. Conceiling Identity
3. Driving on a suspended or revoked license.
4. Theft of Idenity
5. Speeding

New Charges
1. Failure to comply with terms of probation (Not attending substance abuse counceling, not finishing Parenting Classes) Probation Revocation

2. Possesion of Meth (felony)

3. Abandonment or abuse of a child

4. Possesion of Paraphenilia

6. 2 charges of Using the Telephone to Harass, intimidate or annoy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">