• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possesion Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gravvy

What is the name of your state? CA 18 yrs. old

Alright here is my situation. Me and my friend go up to a spot thats overlooking a cliff. we rolled a blunt and we just light it up. He takes about 3 hits and i take about 3. now the windows are rolled up so all the smoke is in the car. i look behind me and i see a car pulling up behind us and i realize it is a cop. so now the car is boxed and my friend throws the blunt into a water bottle and throws it in to the back of the car. The cop comes up to us has me roll down my windows and instantly the smoke is hitting him in the face. He asks us what we are doing and me being scared i say "checking out the view". in attempt to speed this up puts me and my friend in the back of the cop car. my friend told the cops that there is a blunt in a water bottle in the back of the car. they find it and give me a ticket for possession of under a ounce of marijuana. There is already a court date on the ticket and they let us go.

What i want to know is what to expect. I have a full time career that i need to drive to everyday and i understand that my license can be taken away. When the officers gave me the ticket they said that i could op for drug diversion and such. Should i hire a lawyer to go to court with me or am i fine to go in on my own. i know I'm going to have to classes and such and i know i might have to try to get a restricted license, but is there anything i should now before going in and anything i should know when i go in.

Thanks much in advance and any thanks for any advice that can be given.

Gravvy

now i'm trying to keep this under the radar from my parents.

i do not have a record or previous runs ins with the law. This is my first offense period. Am i really going to need a attorney for a first time offense in this situation?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
now i'm trying to keep this under the radar from my parents.

i do not have a record or previous runs ins with the law. This is my first offense period. Am i really going to need a attorney for a first time offense in this situation?
Oh yeah - you're going to have to break it to the parents and you're going to need an attorney if you care about how the case turns out.

RobertMillerAtt

Thank you for your posting, and the opportunity for me to help you by responding to your question.

The answer to your specific question about what will happen depends on the particular procedure of the courthouse you appear in, and the judge you appear in front of. Often, you will be offered time to hire an attorney if you wish, or an opportunity to apply for a public defender if you can't afford an attorney or are truly indigent.

It is likely that for possession under an ounce of marijuana you will be offered diversion, and the state authorizes that option under Penal Code section 1000 (I teach diversion classes when I'm not in the courtroom practicing criminal defense).

I hope this helps. If you do have other questions, please feel free to ask anytime -- it's my pleasure, and thanks again.

What is the name of your state? CA 18 yrs. old

Alright here is my situation. Me and my friend go up to a spot thats overlooking a cliff. we rolled a blunt and we just light it up. He takes about 3 hits and i take about 3. now the windows are rolled up so all the smoke is in the car. i look behind me and i see a car pulling up behind us and i realize it is a cop. so now the car is boxed and my friend throws the blunt into a water bottle and throws it in to the back of the car. The cop comes up to us has me roll down my windows and instantly the smoke is hitting him in the face. He asks us what we are doing and me being scared i say "checking out the view". in attempt to speed this up puts me and my friend in the back of the cop car. my friend told the cops that there is a blunt in a water bottle in the back of the car. they find it and give me a ticket for possession of under a ounce of marijuana. There is already a court date on the ticket and they let us go.

What i want to know is what to expect. I have a full time career that i need to drive to everyday and i understand that my license can be taken away. When the officers gave me the ticket they said that i could op for drug diversion and such. Should i hire a lawyer to go to court with me or am i fine to go in on my own. i know I'm going to have to classes and such and i know i might have to try to get a restricted license, but is there anything i should now before going in and anything i should know when i go in.

Thanks much in advance and any thanks for any advice that can be given.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">