• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession of a controlled substance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zigglywiggly

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
I was charged with possesion of a controlled substance but got it dropped to a simple possesion. My question is why would a felony come up on my background check when I plead to a misdeameanor. I even went to the clerk's and sheriff's office and they both told me that I didn't have a felony? What can I do to get this fixed? I've already been denied a very good job because of that.

1984child

Without confronting the company that actually does the background check for the job you're trying to get, I don't think there's anything you can do. I'm kind of in the same boat, but you got it doubly bad because of somebody's stupid clerical error. I'd recommend doing your own background check and having copies of your own records and any public records that pertain to you, so you can be prepared to refute them next time. There's no way to tell 100%, but I don't think it'll be an issue next time because different companies use different people to perform background checks.

Last edited:

zigglywiggly

I found out why the charge is coming back as a felony. The damn judge didn't sign off on the warrant that it was reduced to a misdeamnor. This happen back in 2004. I also found out that you can not plead guilty to a felony in general seesions court. I wonder if there is anyway i could sue the judge or maybe even the county for there negligence. Any advice would be grateful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">