• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession of a controlled substance Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drewams

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I was driving my friends car. He was in the passenger seat as well as another friend in back seat. Passenger in back seat smokes a blunt. We get pulled over are not told why we were stopped immediately asked for ID and removed from the car. Patted down and car gets searched. Cops find some pills prescription in the floorboard and two X pills in a baggie with my wallet. I did not have them on me though. I was cuffed and put in the back of the cop car along with my friend and taken to jail. Never once was I read my rights nor did they adress what i was being charged with. I was never shown a warrant either. Can I beat the charges or reduce them signifigantly even? some1 please help i am getn a lawyer but my nerves are shot Im sure i can beat this outright but how would i do it?

ceara19

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I was driving my friends car. He was in the passenger seat as well as another friend in back seat. Passenger in back seat smokes a blunt. We get pulled over are not told why we were stopped immediately asked for ID and removed from the car. Patted down and car gets searched. Cops find some pills prescription in the floorboard and two X pills in a baggie with my wallet. I did not have them on me though. I was cuffed and put in the back of the cop car along with my friend and taken to jail. Never once was I read my rights nor did they adress what i was being charged with. I was never shown a warrant either. Can I beat the charges or reduce them signifigantly even? some1 please help i am getn a lawyer but my nerves are shot Im sure i can beat this outright but how would i do it?
First thing you need to do is quit using drugs. Why is it you feel that you can "beat this"?

drewams

First thing you need to do is quit using drugs. Why is it you feel that you can "beat this"?
Well i actually dont use them. Having them doesnt make me a user. And i wasnt mirandized nor was i told my charges nor was i shown a warrant. EVER. so isnt that enough to have the charges dropped?

ceara19

Well i actually dont use them. Having them doesnt make me a user. And i wasnt mirandized nor was i told my charges nor was i shown a warrant. EVER. so isnt that enough to have the charges dropped?
So your a dealer? They can search the car without a warrant for several different reasons. It sounds like they had more then enough probable cause to search the car. They also don't have to read you your rights. They can't use anything you say BEFORE you are mirandized against you, but you said nothing about making any incriminating statements, so it doesn't matter. You don't have to be told what your charges are until your arraignment, so again, you're out of luck.

drewams

So your a dealer? They can search the car without a warrant for several different reasons. It sounds like they had more then enough probable cause to search the car. They also don't have to read you your rights. They can't use anything you say BEFORE you are mirandized against you, but you said nothing about making any incriminating statements, so it doesn't matter. You don't have to be told what your charges are until your arraignment, so again, you're out of luck.
ok well the only reason i was charged with possession was because they asked me if it was my wallet that had the x pills in it. therefore they can not charge me with them right? not mirandized no way of knowing if it was my wallet.....

Shay-Pari'e

ok well the only reason i was charged with possession was because they asked me if it was my wallet that had the x pills in it. therefore they can not charge me with them right? not mirandized no way of knowing if it was my wallet.....

LOL, umm, don't you carry your DL in your wallet?

tranquility

I bet there are other ways, but it is irrelevant. You were not in custody. Even though you were probably guaranteed to be in custody in a moment, at the time of the interrogation, you were not in custody. Miranda relates to custodial interrogations. The statement will get in.

drewams

I bet there are other ways, but it is irrelevant. You were not in custody. Even though you were probably guaranteed to be in custody in a moment, at the time of the interrogation, you were not in custody. Miranda relates to custodial interrogations. The statement will get in.
But I was in custody. The court defines custody as any moment you feel you have lost the freedom to simply walk away. i was in the back of a police car in hand cuffs. And no i dont carry my DL in my wallet actually.

But I was in custody. The court defines custody as any moment you feel you have lost the freedom to simply walk away. i was in the back of a police car in hand cuffs. And no i dont carry my DL in my wallet actually.
there's a difference between being arrested, and being detained.

You were being detained because of the reasonable suspicion.
You were arrested for being in possession of a controlled substance

--Dave

Last edited:

ceara19

Doesn't matter if it was your wallet or not. The vehicle was in YOUR care and control. YOU are the one responsible for ANY illegal contraband found in the vehicle, whether it is "yours" or actually on your person or not. Plus, your buddy just got done smoking a joint IN YOUR PRESENSE, so you can't even TRY to claim that you had no knowledge that there were drugs in the car (not that it would actually work anyway).

ceara19

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">