• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possession of drug paraphernalia in arizona

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zypher

Hello,

I got pulled over a couple days ago, and to make a long story short, I got a ticket for possession of drug paraphernalia (a bong and a grinder used for smoking marijuana, the cop also found about 10 grams of pot on me, but he DID NOT list this on the ticket, [thank you officer!]). But that's all that it says on the ticket, "Possession of Drug Paraphernalia", with a corresponding check mark next to Civil Traffic (And on the back of the ticket, under civil traffic, it states that it's going to be a fine, and if I don't pay this fine, a warrant will be issued for my arrest, that is it.). During this whole process I was as polite as possible, and even shook the officers hand at the very end thanking him. My court date is in about a month, what exactly should I expect? Will I get arrested or have to go to jail/prison?

I have a clean record (other than a speeding ticket, but I already attended the driving class and got this taken off my record). Will I have to go to jail or prison for a paraphernalia? What about probation?

I am 18 years old, attend college full time, and have 2 jobs. I live in Arizona, what can I do to have this taken care of? I just don't want to go to jail... :(

I was also wondering if anyone knew how large the fine would be? (I met a person who was in a similar position, but he was charged for both possession of the drug, AND paraphernalia, he told me that his prosecutor worked out a deal and he dropped the drug possession, and he then plead guilty to the paraphernalia charge, which was a 700 dollar fine for him)

And I was wondering if this would effect my insurance rates?

Is it also unheard of to have this charge taken off my record if I attend some sort of drug class, and pass a certain required amount of drug tests? Is this something negotiable with the judge or prosecutor?

My friend also said that after 6 months this will be taken off my record, is this true?

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for very much for your time.

Last edited:

The Occultist

The state of Arizona is very lenient for first-time offenders of non-violent crimes. As an adult, you are eligible for deferred prosecution, which you need to request if it is not outright offered to you (it typically is). Deferred prosecution consists of some fines (varies depending on who's offering the deal), a drug class that you pay for out of pocket, and a very informal probation, the successful completion of which should result in the charges against you being dismissed.

zypher

The state of Arizona is very lenient for first-time offenders of non-violent crimes. As an adult, you are eligible for deferred prosecution, which you need to request if it is not outright offered to you (it typically is). Deferred prosecution consists of some fines (varies depending on who's offering the deal), a drug class that you pay for out of pocket, and a very informal probation, the successful completion of which should result in the charges against you being dismissed.
Thanks for your reply!

If you don't mind me asking, could you please clarify on what informal probation would be like? Is it just random drug testing??

thanks again.

Edit: When you say dismissed, do you mean taken off my record?

Last edited:

The Occultist

Dismissed with prejudice. It means you have never been convicted of the crime, but the fact that you were charged will remain there. This is because your 2nd and 3rd offense consequences (this is, of course, hypothetical since we know you're going to learn your lesson from this and never break the law again) will be harder and harder on you.

"Informal" means not as strict as it could be. How informal yours is will depend on the court. Keep in mind that random drug testing will always be on the table, but I've seen a few cases where the defendant never even met the PO.

zypher

Dismissed with prejudice. It means you have never been convicted of the crime, but the fact that you were charged will remain there. This is because your 2nd and 3rd offense consequences (this is, of course, hypothetical since we know you're going to learn your lesson from this and never break the law again) will be harder and harder on you.

"Informal" means not as strict as it could be. How informal yours is will depend on the court. Keep in mind that random drug testing will always be on the table, but I've seen a few cases where the defendant never even met the PO.
Wow 'dismissed with prejudice' seems like a great deal for me!

Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">