• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession, etc...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

intarro

What is the name of your state? Arizona (live in Phoenix if it matters)

So I recently made a string of mistakes that were stupid and turned out to be the biggest series of mistakes I've ever made.

First mistake was I decided I was going to do meth and mistake 1 1/2 was that I decided to keep the (we'll go with what the head shop called an 'oil inhaler') oil inhaler on me after I did it.

Segueing into mistake number two: I went to a department store where the combination of stupidity and intoxication made me think shoplifting was a good idea.

So the result of all this was me being detained by the store security staff. Not that it matters much (I think) but I am almost positive the force they used to detain me would be deemed excessive by any reasonable person. Inside their little room a search was performed to which I did not agree to. I'm not really sure if this would be considered illegal because the extent of the search was the security personnel opening up my pockets to peer inside them - he only went inside my back pocket to get my ID out. Ultimately felt the inhaler in one of my other pockets. I ended up standing against a wall until the cop got there where they basically forced me to old my arms outstretched so as not to reach inside my pockets.

Cop gets there and does his Miranda thing. I answer all his questions and he ends up letting me go (I got really lucky here) but now I have a nice little citation in remembrance of me being an idiot. Violations on it are for Sections 12-1805 A5 (cop messed up here and put 12 instead of 13 like he was supposed to) and 13-3415 A1.

I basically want to know what to expect when I walk into court. Obviously I'd like to get off or have both charges dismissed as well but that's wishful thinking at best. Oh - and can I count on these two charges showing up on background checks and the like?

Thanks for any and all replies.What is the name of your state?

garrula lingua

A 'mistake' is buying the wrong type of bread.

You are not making 'mistakes', you're f***g up your life.

Doing meth and shoplifting is your choice of lifestyle.

Don't minimalize these acts as 'mistakes'- you (at least on that day) were a druggie and a thief.

In court, you may get diversion on the drug charge - it's only for paraphernalia; it's surprising that the cop just cited you on the theft charge.

Many prosecutors would drop the 'drug device' charge for a conviction on the theft charge.

I doubt if the theft charge would be dropped - the theft is probably on video.

A theft charge will severely hamper your future employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">