• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession of less than 1 ounce of marijuana impact on green card application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bemmigrant

Hi,
Some days ago I received a citation 11357 (b) possession of marijuana under 1 ounce from Glendale City PD, California for the first time. My court date is set for the end of June. I was in my friend's car while officer saw the marijuana, but I wasn't the driver, so the ticket is marked as a Traffic Violation. I am over 21.
I am legal in US and my case for getting permanent residence (I-485) is in the phase of Request of Evidence Review, which is followed by Decision to grant residence or no. From January 1, 2011 possession of less than 1 ounce of Marijuana is considered as an infraction (and is not being shown on criminal record?) to affect immigration eligibility. However, I check several sources and all contradict each other, ones telling it will not affect because it is an infraction treated like a traffic ticket, others telling that it will make me inadmissible.
Please help me with information if it stays on criminal record (ticked is marked to be a Traffic violation) and will it impact immigration process and make me inadmissible? I would highly appreciate your help.

Thank you in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">