• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession of Marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enjoiskate8

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Me, 1 other adult, and 2 minors were arrested in my car for smoking marijuna. The weed was purchased by me and the other adult and no claim was made at the time of the arrest. This is his 3rd offense and my 1st. I told him I would say the marijuana was purchased by me to help him out. My friend plead this at his first trial (I waived this arrainment) and I told my lawyer that it was mine. The two minors recently went to their meeting and said that the marijuana was the other adults. Should I come clean and say that it was both of ours to my lawyer before our trial? What will be the consequences to me and the minors if I say they were mistaken? Also can my lawyer drop my case if I change what I told him earlier? Thanks

FlyingRon

OWNERSHIP is not required for posession. If you're all sitting there passing a joint around, you're all guilty. Who paid for it is immaterial.

JETX

Should I come clean and say that it was both of ours to my lawyer before our trial?
Gee.... do you really think that the lawyers on this site would suggest that you LIE to your attorney??
Of course not. Tell your attorney the FULL truth!!

What will be the consequences to me and the minors if I say they were mistaken?
No one can guess as to who the court would believe. However, if they don't believe YOUR version you could face additional charges (perjury).

Also can my lawyer drop my case if I change what I told him earlier?
Can he?? Yes.
Will he?? Very unlikely.

enjoiskate8

Thanks for the fast responses.
Basically you are saying that regardless of who`s weed it was we are all looking at no worse or better of a charge? (Everybody is admitting to smoking)
Now if they believe me and not the minors will they be brought up on perjury charges? They were simply mistaken.

FlyingRon

If you were charged with simple posession, that's probably correct.

I'm not sure why you would lie to your lawyer. What you tell him is protected and he's not going to be very effective if he's not informed as to what really went on.

enjoiskate8

Thanks for the help guys, this is my first arrest so I didnt really know what was going on. I`ll send him an e-mail today.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">