• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possession of marijuana charge pending

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksiv570

What is the name of your state? Michigan

long story short i was caught smoking in the dorms of my university (college student). I was caught with 3 other people and the officer told us if we cooperated with him we would not go to jail. After hearing this i handed him a bag containing about 0.2 gram of marijuana and the kid who's room it was handed him a pipe and some papers. After confiscating all of this he asked me to cough up the source of the marijuana or he would write me a possession ticket. I have been talking to the officer and gave him a name but he could not make an arrest. I have no prior offenses except for 4 points on my driver's license. Does that matter? He said that i would get a ticket in the mail telling me a court date. Should i plead guilty or not guilty to reduce my charges? Is it possible to plead no contest and get probation? Also i am a college student and have a pretty tight budget with no savings, is it possible to get any of the fines waived. Lastly i have heard of a expunged record program for people under 21 with a first conviction, how do I go about this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

eliteb43

Bro.. I'm not a lawyer. And I've never taken any law classes, so this is simply my opinion. Cuz I'm going through the possesion situation myself but different drug.. prescription meds.

I'm not sure about the difference between Michigan and Texas.. cuz i'm from Texas, but i think if you were just issued a ticket, and it is going to be mailed.. then you are in the clear. I spent some time in Cali, and heard of police writing tickets for majiuana possesion, but that's isssued in person. In texas, there's NO tickets. If u have a crumb of majiuana in your possesion, they arrest you.. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Also, I spent a two weeks in county jail. During that time, EVERYONE likes to talk about their cases.. And, while in jail, I went to court three times. When you go to court in jail, you get to hear everyone's case and watch as they get offers and sentences. For ANYTHING LESS THAN A GRAM.. FIRST OFFENSE.. the majority of the time, it is dismissed. That's not a guarentee, but i watched it happen more than often. Other offenders spent a day, got 'time served' and went home. Now I'm sure you don't want to go to jail for a day and have it on your record.

Like I said, this is simply an opinion. I went to college for PHYSICS not LAW. So this is not an educated response.. just experience.. and remember, we're in different states, so there could be a difference. But in my opinion, WORST CASE SCENERIO, you will get a fine and a misdemenor poss. on your record, and that's WORST CASE. And I wouldn't even sweat it unless you actually get the ticket in the mail.. I'm not sure if you said if you'd received it yet or not.. Unless the whole mailing a ticket for possesion is usual in Michigan cuz that just blows my mind.

If you're really concerned, get a lawyer. It's not as expensive as you might think. And for a majiuana possesion less than a gram case.. that's a rountine for lawyers. In Texas, it's usually around 500 bucks for a misdemenor charge.

Another option is to read up a little on getting it 'deferred'.. Once again, not sure if that's just a Texas thing, but here, if it's a first offense, you can plea bargain. And they put you on what's like probation for a short period, except the charges can not be pulled up on your record after your done with the 'deferred.'

I know how it feels to be sweating charges for the first time. My story is posted right below yours. Titled "Long Long Story...".. if you wanna feel better about your case.. read mine. You'll feel alot better afterwards.

eliteb43

Not a lawyer, but...

Bro.. I'm not a lawyer. And I've never taken any law classes, so this is simply my opinion. Cuz I'm going through the possesion situation myself but different drug.. prescription meds.

I'm not sure about the difference between Michigan and Texas.. cuz i'm from Texas, but i think if you were just issued a ticket, and it is going to be mailed.. then you are in the clear. I spent some time in Cali, and heard of police writing tickets for majiuana possesion, but that's isssued in person. In texas, there's NO tickets. If u have a crumb of majiuana in your possesion, they arrest you.. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Also, I spent a two weeks in county jail. During that time, EVERYONE likes to talk about their cases.. And, while in jail, I went to court three times. When you go to court in jail, you get to hear everyone's case and watch as they get offers and sentences. For ANYTHING LESS THAN A GRAM.. FIRST OFFENSE.. the majority of the time, it is dismissed. That's not a guarentee, but i watched it happen more than often. Other offenders spent a day, got 'time served' and went home. Now I'm sure you don't want to go to jail for a day and have it on your record.

Like I said, this is simply an opinion. I went to college for PHYSICS not LAW. So this is not an educated response.. just experience.. and remember, we're in different states, so there could be a difference. But in my opinion, WORST CASE SCENERIO, you will get a fine and a misdemenor poss. on your record, and that's WORST CASE. And I wouldn't even sweat it unless you actually get the ticket in the mail.. I'm not sure if you said if you'd received it yet or not.. Unless the whole mailing a ticket for possesion is usual in Michigan cuz that just blows my mind.

If you're really concerned, get a lawyer. It's not as expensive as you might think. And for a majiuana possesion less than a gram case.. that's a rountine for lawyers. In Texas, it's usually around 500 bucks for a misdemenor charge.

Another option is to read up a little on getting it 'deferred'.. Once again, not sure if that's just a Texas thing, but here, if it's a first offense, you can plea bargain. And they put you on what's like probation for a short period, except the charges can not be pulled up on your record after your done with the 'deferred.'

I know how it feels to be sweating charges for the first time. My story is posted right below yours. Titled "Long Long Story...".. if you wanna feel better about your case.. read mine. You'll feel alot better afterwards.

ksiv570

thanks, but does anyone have any idea what the cost might be? Carl i need your help, you seem to know what you are talkin about.

papa_smurf_51

So, is there any kind of first offense "get out of jail free" card. My friend got picked up for oxy and got off with no record and no community service. Does anyone know what this is called (I can't get back in touch with him to find it out) and how to get it in New Jersey. Thanks and good luck.

Just Blue

So, is there any kind of first offense "get out of jail free" card. My friend got picked up for oxy and got off with no record and no community service. Does anyone know what this is called (I can't get back in touch with him to find it out) and how to get it in New Jersey. Thanks and good luck.
Start your own thread if you have a question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">