• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession of Marijuana in IL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qwertyqwerty

Hello.

Earlier this summer I was taken to a police station in Kenilworth, IL and had to pay $100 for violating a village ordinance for possession of marijuana. I never saw a ticket, not even a receipt for my payment. The police there took a picture of me with a Polaroid and asked for my address and any alias I may have used. After paying the $100 I was allowed to leave.

On to my question, is this violation of a village ordinance considered a drug offense or a crime? If I apply to a school, must I list this violation? Where is the information regarding my violation stored (that is, is it public knowledge?; will other police departments be able to access this information?)?

Specifically, could I answer "no" for this next question?

Have you ever received a citation for, been arrested for, charged with, convicted of, or pled guilty, no contest, nolo contendre, entered an Alford plea, or have you received a deferred prosecution or prayer for judgment continued, for any criminal charge other than a minor traffic violation? This would include any charges of driving under the influence or any other drug or alcohol related offenses. (Juvenile offenses that have been expunged from court records need not be disclosed.)

teflon_jones

The fact that you were given no paperwork to back up your arrest leads me to believe there's probably a cop walking around with an extra $100 in his pocket, so I would simply answer that question "no".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">