• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possession of marijuana and paraphernalia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BCorKU

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Kansas
Last night me and a friend went to a park and smoked a joint that I rolled with his pot. A cop came up to the car we were sitting in and starting asking us questions. He ended up searching the car and he found an small tin that had papers and the roach from the joint. I told him it was mine, becuase it was. He then asked if we had any other pot on us and my friend gave him his bag which had about 1/8 of an ounce in it. He brought us to the police station and we filled out paper work and took finger prints ect... He then gave us a court date and let us walk out of the back of the station and to our car which was at a park about a five minute walk away. He told us since we were cooperative, he wouldnt charge us the 1,000 dollar bond (at least for me, my friends was only 500 because all he had was pot.) It was a first time offense and it was also only a misdemeanor. What can i expect to happen to me, in terms of punichment? Will this always be on my record? Is it possible to have it dropped? Could I get maybe community service and probation instead of fines? Would hiring a lawyer be the best thing to do? I know what i did was bad, and believe me i am regreting it. I will never take a hit of marijuana again. i just want to know if this is going to hurt my future. I go to school at KU and i am majoring in education/high school biology. will i ever be able to get a job, or are my plans for the future ruined? Please answer, i am worried sick about the whole situation. By the way i am 19 years old and i have never been in trouble with the police before.

rmet4nzkx

Please consult a criminal defense attorney they can best advise you whether or not you may be able to negotiate any diversion program. In the mean time do not partake in ANY illegal substance including alcohol and begin attending NA without a court order.

BCorKU

Can anyone else give me any adivce? If did get diversion, will I have a criminal record? If i completed diversion, will anything show up on a background check in four years when i try to get a teaching job? I know other people who have been charged with possession and they are all on diversion now, i was arreseted in a different county, Douglas, which borders the county i was charged in... but does this make a difference? i know every case and judge is different, but could i expect a similar situation for myself? Please HELP!

SnoboarderTPH

Norml.org

NORML.ORG go there... see the laws... stop being lazy and call a lawyer or set up an appointment... if kansas has conditional release, meaning first time offenders get a slap on the wrist, (probation& comm. service) then your good. I was charged with poss. of marijuana in my dorm in MI this november, i got offered an act 7411 which basically states that i get probation (determined by judge, usually 6mo-1year) and i had to do 40 hours of community service. I get randomly drug tested, which i still haven't got one yet lol but anyways, the most important part is, if i dont mess up, its all exponged off my record and i can look back on this and laugh 20 years from now in my nice house with my family, instead of working at burger king. just know, fines , simple jail. thats temporary. Poss. of Marijuana on your record is for life..... and no one is going to hire you if you have that on your back ground.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">