• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession of Marijuana at Prom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deehan26

this took place in New Jersey

I am 17 and at my junior prom i supplied myself and 6 others in my limo with marijuana brownies. at the prom, two of the people i supplied them to got really sick so i decided before anything bad happened to come forward and admit to supplying them. there was never any payment for these brownies, i was just doing some friends a favor. When I knew something bad was going to happen i flushed everything i had on me. today i went to a rehab place and got evaluated as a requirement to be allowed back into school. i am currently suspended and i am supposed to be interviewed by the police sometime this week on possible charges of possession and distrobution.

What should i expect to happen?

butwheresyour

Im 17 too, if this is your first time youll probally get 6 weeks of iop (intensive out patient) treatment. They might charge you with possession with a little fine and then it will be exsponged when you turn 18. :) wish i was in your shoes and not mine.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Im 17 too, if this is your first time youll probally get 6 weeks of iop (intensive out patient) treatment. They might charge you with possession with a little fine and then it will be exsponged when you turn 18. :) wish i was in your shoes and not mine.
BULL. Druggie don't go giving advice. YOU are in Ohio and NOT NJ. Laws differ. Also it might not be expunged. It definitely is NOT AUTOMATICALLY expunged.

BIGGIE78

BULL. Druggie don't go giving advice. YOU are in Ohio and NOT NJ. Laws differ. Also it might not be expunged. It definitely is NOT AUTOMATICALLY expunged.
while what you wrote is true (they are in different states) i don't feel that calling names in this instance is appropriate. you could have given your opinion without slamming someone.

Some Random Guy

Although the "druggie" name calling may not be warranted, the poster's situation is clearly different than a standard possession charge. The poster has already admitted to distribution, making a conviction quite easy. It is just a matter of how tough the police and DA want to be.

Based on the zero tolerance laws and policies now adopted, distributing drugs at a school function is going to get you expelled. So in addition to preparing for the legal charges, prepare for your expulsion hearing at school. Without some fancy legal assistance, expect to go to an alternative school next year.

Antigone*

while what you wrote is true (they are in different states) i don't feel that calling names in this instance is appropriate. you could have given your opinion without slamming someone.
You obviously did not check the posting history for Mr. butwheresyour OG did; hence, a valid and honest reference ~ druggie :cool:

p.s. biggie

you want warm and fuzzy you can pay through the nose ~:D

BIGGIE78

don't get me wrong...i'm not saying what this KID did was legal or smart. what i'm saying is they came to this forum for advice (much like i did and i'm sure most of you did) and were asking questions. now, with that being said, the advice he gave him was completely wrong and irrelevant (being different states) but the KID did nothing to you personally. fyi i did read "butwheresyour"s posts and he seems to be troubled. however, i've looked all over this site and i see the same people hating on people just because they have more posts and it is completely unwarranted. if you are going to give advice, fine. in that advice though i do not feel that these people need to be throwing in attacks.

Antigone*

don't get me wrong...i'm not saying what this KID did was legal or smart. what i'm saying is they came to this forum for advice (much like i did and i'm sure most of you did) and were asking questions. now, with that being said, the advice he gave him was completely wrong and irrelevant (being different states) but the KID did nothing to you personally. fyi i did read "butwheresyour"s posts and he seems to be troubled. however, i've looked all over this site and i see the same people hating on people just because they have more posts and it is completely unwarranted. if you are going to give advice, fine. in that advice though i do not feel that these people need to be throwing in attacks.
You know Biggie, if you feel so passionate and so thin skinned, maybe you should start your own forum where you censor the posts and advocate sweetness until you are blue in the face.

BIGGIE78

yeah im so thin skinned for wanting to come to a deceivingly helpful website and have a question answered. i would love to go back to your first post and comment that you were "a druggie" or that "you deserved to get beat by your husband". you may say that this is apples and oranges (as so many of you do on here) but upon looking around the site, i've yet to see a positive comment you have made. the one person on here who is helpful is carl. he actually knows the laws and offers help without personal attacks. i would be willing to bet anything that you are not an attorney or cop, but someone with nothing better to do than sit on here all day and post over 14,000 posts chocked full of personal attacks and laugh at people who are wanting advice for their problems.

Antigone*

yeah im so thin skinned for wanting to come to a deceivingly helpful website and have a question answered. i would love to go back to your first post and comment that you were "a druggie" or that "you deserved to get beat by your husband". you may say that this is apples and oranges (as so many of you do on here) but upon looking around the site, i've yet to see a positive comment you have made. the one person on here who is helpful is carl. he actually knows the laws and offers help without personal attacks. i would be willing to bet anything that you are not an attorney or cop, but someone with nothing better to do than sit on here all day and post over 14,000 posts chocked full of personal attacks and laugh at people who are wanting advice for their problems.
I'm even more despised than an attorney or a cop ~ I'm a banker:cool:

skylerhouse

You people could use a dose of House Music

I was sad to see the awful responses you've received to your question. Some people don't understand that youth don't learn from being called stupid. First off, I want to let you know that you were smart by fessing up to this when you knew you could get in trouble for it. Very NOBLE in my opinion. (And to clear your conscience a little bit, your friends were not likely in serious danger unless you all felt the same sickness. Nausea is one of the MOST COMMON side effects of marijuana.:eek:)

To answer your question:

1st - Expect to spend some time out of school. High Schools are usually VERY STRICT about alcohol and drugs while attending school sponsored events, especially Prom. You may even have to meet with the school board in order to get back into school. This is something very uniform across the U.S. I mention this stuff first because High School is the EASIEST, yet most important thing you will ever do.

2nd - Expect to be charged with the crime. I'm not saying you will be, but be prepared for it. They probably won't arrest you. They are more likely to try and find out where you got the marijuana. And that's where you gotta make a choice. It's commonly referred to as "rolling" on someone. Taken from "roll over," like you would tell your dog. :p Essentially, they want you to roll over so they can scratch your belly to make you spill the beans. We all know how much Fido loves a belly rub!

3rd - Expect your friends that were in the limo to be questioned too. If any of them are 18, they could be facing fines for what the call contributing to the delinquency of a minor. That means, they let a minor do something they knew was wrong. The same might even apply to the driver of the limo depending on the circumstances in which the brownies were distributed to your friends in the limo.

Now, you need to understand. You CAN be charged with possession and distribution for the marijuana. The fact that you no longer had them on you physically has no bearing. You admitted to faculty of the school you did it. They WILL testify to that fact.:confused:

Another thing you need to know it you could also be charged with "failure to affix a tax stamp." Which, in all honesty, is a B.S. law that allows law enforcement to sock you with an additional charge. You ARE REQUIRED by law to pay taxes on controlled substances.:rolleyes: These can be purchased at your county courthouse or through most States' revenue departments. I wouldn't recommend doing that though. You'll have cops following you everywhere you go.

My conclusive advice is to tell them where you got the marijuana if that's what they want. If it's a family member or a good friend this will be substantially more difficult to do. And you may have to decided whether or not to live with the consequences. Which will most likely end in a deferred judgment. Which means if you meet specific terms while on probation, the record of your arrest will be expunged. Keep in mind the cops will still know what you did, but the information won't be available to the public anymore. Remember, you generally only get 2 deferred judgments in your ENTIRE LIFE!!;)

Side Note: To the Jerks on here calling these kids druggies and stupid:mad::mad::mad:... I seriously hope when your teenagers deal with these things, that ALL teens encounter, and they reach out for help, they get the same treatment you gave these young people. Then you can deal with the negative psychological effects it's causes them. Maybe they'll turn out to be druggies too!! And you wonder what's wrong with the youth today. IT'S YOU! Remember what you've done when you expect the youth of today to save your soul!

Save the children! I'm very serious about this because we expect them to save us all!:cool:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He is a druggie. he is in rehab and still was busted for various drug charges and admits to using. Hence he uses drugs and is therefore a druggie. END of story. It was not a slam. It was a statement of fact. Deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">