• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possession of marijuana questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GML1010

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I just started college and on the first day I get caught by the university police with marijuana. I was smoking in my girlfriends room and the damn cops came in. We were very very cooperative and the cop kept on telling us this wasn't as bad as it seems. I conffessed that it was my marijuana. they pulled my girlfriend out in the hall and questioned her because they thought that it was not my weed but rather my roommates whom was also smoking with us. They checked my ID and everything and I have never been introuble before. Then they said that I was going to have to go to court and then be on probation. They did not arrest me or give me a ticket. they just took the weed and left. What does that mean? were they just trying to scare me and nothing will happen? keep in mind that these are university police too.

The Occultist

Because it happened on campus, charges will definitely be filed against you. It doesn't matter how lenient the officer or the university wants to be, the university is very nearly absolutely required to make sure charges are pressed to ensure they continue to receive money from the government. Your citation will probably be mailed to you.

quincy

What will happen to you depends on which Michigan campus you were on. On some, possessing or using marijuana is a small fine, nothing more - sort of like a parking ticket.

GML1010

ya i know that U of M its only a 25 dollar fine but im in kalamazoo at WMU. well **** i guess im screwed then.... do any of you know how much the fine will be? will it be very expensive?

quincy

If the amount of marijuana you possessed is small, you are probably eligible for Michigan's first time offender program, which is probation for individuals without prior convictions, a discharge and dismissal of charges without adjudication of guilt, and a nonpublic record of your arrest. There will probably be a civil fine, more than Ann Arbor maybe, but not more than $100 or so, I believe.

GML1010

yes it is my first time being in trouble.... so you think that all i will have to pay is about 100 dollars and go to probation? I didn't even know what probation was and when the cop was talking to me he was telling me that this really isn't a big deal because I had such small amount of weed and that I will probably have to go to a probation officer every now and then. what does the discharge mean? Is this a big deal at all it has been hanging over my head since i came to school.

quincy

It's not all that big of a deal in Michigan - but I will tell you that with second offenses, the courts are not quite as easy on you. Anyway, you are sharing your first offense with maybe half of all other college kids on campuses throughout Michigan :). With probation, you just check in, they make sure you are not doing drugs, you go on your merry way. You never have to report any of this on any employment forms or anything.

Alcohol policies in Michigan are stricter than the ones for marijuana, so watch the alcohol, and don't drive if you've had anything to drink.

outonbail

yes it is my first time being in trouble.... so you think that all i will have to pay is about 100 dollars and go to probation? I didn't even know what probation was and when the cop was talking to me he was telling me that this really isn't a big deal because I had such small amount of weed and that I will probably have to go to a probation officer every now and then. what does the discharge mean? Is this a big deal at all it has been hanging over my head since i came to school.
Here's some excellent advice I've copied off another thread:
You know spanish? if so, go to mexico
I just hope these words of wisdom are as helpful to you as they were to the other poster! ;)

CJane

they make sure you are not doing drugs
This means you should probably stop smoking pot, by the way. You're gonna have to pee clean for awhile... and those kits you buy online? Not gonna help you no matter how many times they swear it's guaranteed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">