• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession of narcotics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pgonzalez74

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

I let my friend borrow my car one night and he got pulled over for a DUI. I was not present at the time of the police pulling him over and they found a pinch of cocaine in my car and arrested me the next day for possession. I got out on bail and the case ended up being a DA reject, but I'm trying to be a probation officer. Because I was booked is this going to bar me from becoming a probation officer? This charge is from NOV 07. Can I use CA PC 851 to get the arrest off my record and if so, How do I begin?

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

I let my friend borrow my car one night and he got pulled over for a DUI. I was not present at the time of the police pulling him over and they found a pinch of cocaine in my car and arrested me the next day for possession. I got out on bail and the case ended up being a DA reject, but I'm trying to be a probation officer. Because I was booked is this going to bar me from becoming a probation officer? This charge is from NOV 07. Can I use CA PC 851 to get the arrest off my record and if so, How do I begin?
What does PC 851 have to do with anything?

851. Every officer causing telegraphic copies or abstracts of
warrants to be sent, must certify as correct, and file in the
telegraphic office from which such copies are sent, a copy of the
warrant, and must return the original with a statement of his action
thereunder.
In any event, you will be required to reveal any arrests in your background.
The arrest does not bar you from employment in a peace officer capacity (assuming the probation officer position you seek is classified as a peace officer), but it can be considered as part of the hiring decision.

You might ask the agency you have applied for how detrimental that one year old arrest might be?

They will also almost certainly obtain a copy of the police report and inquire as to why the DA rejected it. If it looks like the dope was yours, I'd say no probation job is in your future.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">