• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possession, paraphernalia charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Meteor

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I was arrested and charged with simple possession of marijuana and paraphernalia. No prior criminal record so this will be my first offense. I was with someone else when they were driving and got pulled over. They questioned him and he gave consent to search the vehicle. Then I was questioned and searched. They found nothing on me but found a small amount of marijuana (maybe a dime?), a grinder and rolling papers in the vehicle. I denied it belonging to me but I learned later that he told them it was mine (the marijuana was found under my seat). We both went to jail anyways.

My question is this, do I need a lawyer for this case or would a public defender do? I don't want this on my record. Should I plead not guilty to the charges? Do I have a case? Is it even worth it?

I go to court next week so any advice would be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">