• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession in South Carolina... PLEASE HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swtksses2006

What is the name of your state? I live in North Carolina, however the charges are in South Carolina

I live in NC and I was hanging out with some a friend of mine who lived in Fort Mill SC... we were drinking and he suggested we go sown to Easley SC to pick up a buddy of his that he had done time with... I decided that that would be ok and told him to give me a few hours so that I could sober up... We left his house around 11:30 and arrive in Easly at about 1:30 am.We picked up his buddy and with him he had a bottle of whisky that he had been drinking. We are all under 21 by the way. We were driving around and the boys asked to stop at aconvinence store so that they could go to the restroom. They came back out and asked for some cash to get snacks I gave them about $10-15. Now I had heard them talking about having a fake ID at some point, but I didn't think that they were going to try and use it. They went back in and came out each with a case of beer. They got in the car and told me to drive, and stay away from the highway... I asked them several times why, and they told me that the lady hadn't checked their ID and told them to just get out. By that time I was tired and wanted to get back to my friends house and pass out. I continued on the highway when I noticed an officer behind me, a few minutes later he turned his lights on and I pulled over. The cop mentioned to me that my car had fit the description that two guys took off in after that had STOLEN the beer... a fact that they had not informed me about. Immeadiatly the boys were cuffed and put in a squad car. The officer then asked if it would be ok to search my car... I said that it would be fine not thinking that he would find anything in it. They searched through everything and a few minutes later one came out with a baggie of two ecstacy pills that he said he found in my center consol. I was not aware that they were in there, and I am also not exactally positive as to how they got there... however I have my suspicions. We were all booked... however the officer tod me that he really didn't think that the pills were mine, however because they were found in my car that I would have to be charged with them. I stayed 10 hours in jail and was released the next day on a PR bond for possession of a controlled substance and minor in possession of liqour ( the whisky bottle). I have a court date set for the liqour offence and I am still awaiting on one for the controlled substance....

Now for my question...

1. How long can it take for me to get a court date?
2. What am I looking at as far as punishment ( I have no prior convictions, squeeky clean record)
3. Because I am out on bond, what are the conditions... what am I allowed to do and what am I not allowed to do? Can I leave the state (I was given permission to go back to my home state)
4. Should I have any contact with the 2 guys whatsoever?

I am meeting with an attorney Thursday and will explore my options with him however I would like further advice and answers...

Thank you...:confused:

Last edited:

FlyingRon

1. How long can it take for me to get a court date?
Months.
2. What am I looking at as far as punishment ( I have no prior convictions, squeeky clean record)
You're looking at jail time. Listen carefully to your lawyer. You didn't state exactly which statutes you were charged with and I'm having a hard time with the SC legislature site right now, but suffice it to say that it's quite possible these are felonies you are dealing with.
3. Because I am out on bond, what are the conditions... what am I allowed to do and what am I not allowed to do? Can I leave the state (I was given permission to go back to my home state)
What did they tell you when you bailed out. If they told you not to leave SC but gave you an exception to go home, then don't go anywhere else unless you clear it with the court.
4. Should I have any contact with the 2 guys whatsoever?
No, let your lawyer handle it.

Last edited:

The Occultist

Have you been charged with a specific crime? If so, please provide the statute number(s) you have been charged with. If not, keep in mind they have at least a year to charge you, and if that happens, post back with those statute number(s).

swtksses2006

Months.

You're looking at jail time. Listen carefully to your lawyer. You didn't state exactly which statutes you were charged with and I'm having a hard time with the SC legislature site right now, but suffice it to say that it's quite possible these are felonies you are dealing with.
Where are the statue numbers located exactally... I am not sure what these are... like I said before I have never delt with something like this before...

swtksses2006

Months.

Possession of a controlled substance in Easley, SC
offense code: 0179
code/ordinance sec. 44-53-370
there is also another number...k-096682

Minor in possession of liqour:
violation section no.: 20-7-8925
offense code: 94

FlyingRon

That 44-53-370 statute has several sections. Hopefully it is (c) which is the simple possession. For a first offense: a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be imprisoned not more than two years or fined not more than five thousand dollars, or both.

The minor in posession:

(B) A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than one hundred dollars nor more than two hundred dollars or must be imprisoned for not more than thirty days, or both.

swtksses2006

Update

So I talked to my attorney and he told me that he can get all the charges dropped... however I am faced with another dilema... I got a call from one of the guys saying that The other guys mother is going to charge me with Satutory rape unless I plead guilty for everything and take all the charges and have them dropped on them... But the thing is, how can she charge me something that has not been done? I never had sex with the other guy ( he is 17) I never touched him... On what basis can she do this, if she can do it at all? I am going this weekend to get my number changed so that neither of the guys can contact me... I am scared and confused...

Raptoer

Well, she isn't charging you. She would report you and then the prosecutor would charge you. I'm going to guess that you're a girl, and while it is not common for girls to be prosecuted for statutory rape, it has happened.

so guy X called you, to tell you that guy Y's mother will report you for statutory rape unless you take all the blame. Well thats pretty ridiculous, and I doubt the prosecutor would go after something so shaky. Just remember to remain civil.

Good luck at getting those charges dropped, and remember to stay out of trouble. One big piece of advice I would give to people is: Don't let shady characters ride in your car, especially if it sounds like they just stole two cases of beer!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">