• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession of THC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dorling

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI
I was pulled over for rolling through a stop sign. I had been smoking and as the officer approached the car he asked where the weed was. I panicked and told them it was in the glove box and some was under the seat. I told them it was mine. I was cited for possession of THC and for not stopping at a stop sign. They released me right away but I must appear in court for the possession ticket. My question is what are my options at court and should I hire a lawyer for this process? BTW this is my first ever offense for anything if that matters at all.

Mass_Shyster

It appears you are facing a possible six month jail sentence and a $1000 fine.

Personally, I would hire an attorney when facing jail time.

pbminor

Do some local research. Find out what happens in your area, especially with first time offenders. Act accordingly.
I live in California. It's hard for me to accept that people can actually go to jail for marijuana use. I believe most states have some type of diversion program, where you attend drug rehab and then charges are dropped.
MOST IMPORTANTLY - Make sure you're registered to vote. Encourage your friends to register. And then, make sure to vote!
Good luck :)

If found guilty of marijuana possession the court may allow the defendant to enter a drug rehabilitation program, upon successful completion of the program the sentence may be dropped.
http://norml.org/laws/item/wisconsin-penalties-2?category_id=895

Hopefully as a first time offender, you can avoid jail time and take a program instead. Hopefully, you have a clean record before this. Show up to court on time and dress nice. When you show up to court, see if they will offer you the drug program if you plead guilty. If they are only offering jail time, plead not guilty and ask for a lawyer. Using up jail resources for first time non violent offenders like yourself is really a waste of taxpayers money, and hopefully that is one of the motivating principles for the court to offer you a sentence that doesn't involve jail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">