• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession ticket in someone else's name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Obliviously

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Minnesota

I was a passenger in my friend's truck, he was driving to give his friend a ride home from work. On the way to his friend's work, he was pulled over because he supposedly was driving on the median line (which as far as I could tell from the backseat, was not true).

The officer asked us all to step out of the truck and searched each one of us. He found my marijuana piece in my pocket (as soon as he touched it, he asked me if I had any drug paraphernalia on me, of course I'm not dumb and said yes). He then asked if there was in marijuana in the truck. I told him where the nearly empty bag that I had was.

I was handed a ticket for possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of a small amount of marijuana. The thing is, the ticket is written in my friend's (the one who was driving) name.

The police officer said it was MY ticket and handed it to me, so why is it in my friend's name?

Who has the legal obligation to pay the fines, my friend or me?

And how large of a fine are we looking at?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BOR

IF your name is not on the summons/citation, you were not charged. Obviously it was an error.

IF your friend was NOT given a citation, whether yours has his name on it or not, he was not served.

You can decide what to do, if you ignore it, you can't be charged with such, IMO, so you can ignore it OR clear it up with the department. When the errror is noticed, he will no doubt cite you properly anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">