• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible consequence? Controlled substance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

user9

Well i appreciate the harsh judgements, but picture your son in this exact position, would you really be suggesting they get the harshest punishment? For making poor choices? No mercy.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Well i appreciate the harsh judgements, but picture your son in this exact position, would you really be suggesting they get the harshest punishment? For making poor choices? No mercy.

Well you started off with weed and have apparently graduated to bigger and better things. I hope you have a good attorney.

Just Blue

If one of my children were stupid enough to damage their future (at 17) I would let them deal with it. You were GIFTED a chance to go forward and prosper...You CHOOSE to flush that chance down the toilet. That is ALL on you. :(

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
New York State, I was granted a marajuana acd sealed back in november, and recently i was just arrested with the charge of controlled substance due to possession of Vyvanse capsules that were not prescribed to me. If I am a high school student by the age of 17 (looking to go to college), how serious is this matter? What is the greatest possible consequence i can face? Could this possibly affect my chance of admission into college? I was fully compliant, and did not give any resistance to arrest at all.. Please let me know, im really freaking out!
So just how old are you? Yes, this serious. You were given a second chance... and continued making similar bad choices.

If you think not resisting arrest should give you brownie points, you are sadly mistaken. It is just not enough. You are not willing to take responsibility for your actions and their consequences.

So in my defense the vyvanse was from a friend for the purpose of helping me study for my upcoming finals, and eventually AP tests later in May. The marajuana acd was not for smuggling or selling of any kind, just got my personal stash taken away, as well as the vyvanse.
That is a craptastic defense. Seriously.

Intentionally taking what you think is a performance enhancing drug is called *cheating*.

Were I on a college admissions committee, I'd be against admitting someone who misused drugs this way. High school is easier t han college. If y ou're already resorting to illicit drug use to "help" you in high school, there's no way y ou'd be able to stand the rigors of studying at the university level.

Hopefully the judge doesn't think the same way the people reaponding here do...
The judge is an adult, like the other posters.

You are not an adult. Your inability to accept that you will be judged based on rules made by adults is causing you problems.

quincy

Your choices were not just "poor" choices, user9. They were illegal choices. And the court will know that you made these illegal choices more than once.

Please re-read the post by xylene, though. There is some chance that you can escape the worst of the penalties possible for possession of Vyvanse, but you will want a good attorney to help make this happen. You might also want to consider taking drug rehabilitation classes now (again, see xylene's post), this to show the court that you are serious about staying off drugs so you can get into college.

As a note, a research study was done at the University of Michigan not long ago that showed Vyvanse and similar ADD/ADHD drugs were among the most abused of the drugs used by students in high school and college. Some students were prescribed their drugs by private physicians, who appear to be diagnosing ADD/ADHD in their young patients with alarming frequency, and others were sold the drugs by the students with prescriptions.

Possession for the students with legal prescriptions is not illegal but the sale or distribution of their prescription drugs to others is serious stuff and has resulted in criminal actions being taken against them. In other words, this friend of yours who provided you with Vyvanse can be in worse trouble than you.

What you might find interesting about the U of M research study (but what is probably not all that surprising to most of us) is that no evidence was found that Vyvanse enhanced academic performance. Students without ADD/ADHD who used Vyvanse showed no noticeable improvement in their grades. In other words, these students took risks with their health for no reason.

Find a good defense attorney to help you, user9.

justalayman

My kids are smart enough to have learned from the first mistake. There would not be a second mistake.

Proserpina

Hmmm.

Someone has drugs. They're not prescribed in my name. Should I take some?

You understand that "higher education" doesn't mean "what I try to learn when I'm stoned", right?

CdwJava

I'd be horrendously disappointed and would have been all over them after the FIRST one! And, of course, he would no longer have any car to drive after arrest number one. Besides, I'd probably know if one of my sons were using stimulants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">