• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible consequence? Controlled substance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

user9

New York State, I was granted a marajuana acd sealed back in november, and recently i was just arrested with the charge of controlled substance due to possession of Vyvanse capsules that were not prescribed to me. If I am a high school student by the age of 17 (looking to go to college), how serious is this matter? What is the greatest possible consequence i can face? Could this possibly affect my chance of admission into college? I was fully compliant, and did not give any resistance to arrest at all.. Please let me know, im really freaking out!

Last edited:

Just Blue

New York State, I was granted a marajuana acd sealed back in november, and recently i was just arrested with the charge of controlled substance due to possession of Vyvanse capsules that were not prescribed to me. If I am a high school student by the age of 17 (looking to go to college), what is the greatest possible consequence i can face, and how will this affect my admission into a university? please let me know!
I won't address the Drug charge....But your criminal charges WILL affect your schooling. If you apply/have received a scholarship expect that you will have it rescinded. Hope getting high was worth it. :(

user9

I won't address the Drug charge....But your criminal charges WILL affect your schooling. If you apply/have received a scholarship expect that you will have it rescinded. Hope getting high was worth it. :(
I had the vyvanse for academic reasons, not delinquent reasons

quincy

From the link provided by Blue Meanie, it states that: "Vyvanse may impair your thinking or reactions." The impaired thinking is just one possible side-effect of Vyvanse and just one reason why I find your statement that you are using Vyvanse for "academic reasons" a curious one.

Whatever you meant by your statement, I agree with Blue Meanie that you have put your college admission plans, and any financial aid you might have been counting on, in jeopardy with your arrest and charge for possession of this controlled substance. If you are convicted on the charge, you may also find that you have significantly limited the number and type of jobs available to you.

Because there is the very real possibility of jail time if you are convicted on the possession charge, you would be smart to consult with a criminal defense attorney in your area. This is what I recommend. The attorney will work with the prosecutor to see that you get the best possible outcome based on the facts of your arrest.

Good luck.

justalayman

it's a stimulant/ I suspect the claim is so OP can be more alert for school and therefore will learn more.

apparently it didn't help as they were stupid enough to commit another crime after being given the generous offer of the acd previously.

xylene

Sure seems like the opportunity to go to university with financial aid is there if the OP acts to do a drug rehab program, something definitely advisable with these kinds of drugs.

Abusing stimulant drugs intended as ADD/ADHD meds in a search for any kind of academic performance enhancing drug is incredibly common.

In highly competitve high schools across the country studens fake ADD/ADHD, possibly with the tactic understanding of the school administration.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/education/seeking-academic-edge-teenagers-abuse-stimulants.html?_r=0

xylene

Unless the pot charge was dealing or smuggling or involved a very substantial amount, an ACD for pot in NY is not exact an amazing deal either. It is a violation.

user9

So in my defense the vyvanse was from a friend for the purpose of helping me study for my upcoming finals, and eventually AP tests later in May. The marajuana acd was not for smuggling or selling of any kind, just got my personal stash taken away, as well as the vyvanse.

CdwJava

And you thought that consuming a substance that impairs your ability to perceive and reason would help you study and pass the AP tests ... how???

I suspect that may have been the lie you were telling yourself, but, it's likely that you enjoyed the rush - not that it provided some sudden burst of intellect and focus.

user9

You need to understand what vyvanse is... This is a medication to treat adhd, since I have never been evaluated I will never know if I truly have it or not, but I do have trouble focusing on assignments and paying attention in my classes, it's one of my greatest flaws... Therefore I really don't see the problem with this drug, i believe if it's regulated and you do not abuse it, like myself, then there is no real danger to it. I just don't want to be seen like some sort of monster, I'm just a regular student trying to reach my greatest academic potential. Now to move away from why I had it I am curious now to see if anyone believes that the judge may rule in my favor and possibly just extend my existing acd + put me into some sort of program.... Could that be?

CdwJava

You need to understand what vyvanse is... This is a medication to treat adhd, since I have never been evaluated I will never know if I truly have it or not,
All the more reason NOT to try it! There is a reason you see a doctor before taking medications that can nad often due have negative consequences even when used as prescribed!

but I do have trouble focusing on assignments and paying attention in my classes,
Huh ... three of my four sons had the same thing! It's called being a teenager! :)

One was - and IS - exceptionally motivated in school (now college) so he never had such trouble. The others are "normal" ... ish.

Therefore I really don't see the problem with this drug,
Of course not - because you like the rush it provides. That's what tweakers, potheads, and hypes (heroin addicts) say about their drugs, too.

i believe if it's regulated and you do not abuse it, like myself, then there is no real danger to it.
You can believe the world is flat, but it doesn't make it true.

Your belief is apparently based on wishful thinking ... http://www.drugs.com/vyvanse.html

I just don't want to be seen like some sort of monster, I'm just a regular student trying to reach my greatest academic potential.
Through chemical experimentation with a substance that will only diminish your ability, not improve them.

Now to move away from why I had it I am curious now to see if anyone believes that the judge may rule in my favor and possibly just extend my existing acd + put me into some sort of program.... Could that be?
Anything is POSSIBLE. But, since it seems you have no intention of ending your experimentation with mind altering chemicals, I would hope that you suffer some more stringent penalties - for your own good!

justalayman

Sorry dude but the acd was your mulligan. Don't you remember what your attorney said about it? Stay out of trouble and this goes away.

You have basicslly slapped the judge here. You were given the benefit of the doubt and allowed to escape your mistake. Well, you have just proven the first time was not a mistake but a way of life. Not only should the acd be pulled but you should face the full penalty for that and now this new charge.

Time for a lawyer. The speed definately didn't make you smarter.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It doesn't matter what your OPINION of a drug is. You are not a doctor.

Unless it is prescribed by a licensed medical provider you can't have it in your possession or use it - that is a crime in New York State.

If you're 17 then you are an adult. You need an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">