• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible drug charges but not sure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

John1000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? kansas

I was pulled over the cop smelt weed. he searched my car found a little bit of weed about .1 of a gram but he also found a half of a xanax i didnt even know was there. so he told me that all my charges were gonna be droped if i did a buy for them(snitch on my drug dealers). I said yea i can probably do that. I was then told i can leave but he said i need to call him tomorrow by 2pm or there will be a warrant. I was never given any police papers,not put in handcuffs,never told i was under arrest and never had my rights read to me. I had this told to me by a cop before for somthing diffrent but almost the exact words ( need to call him or warrant) and i did not call and there was no warrant and i didnt hear anything from him. I dont know of any drug dealers in my town right now. Should i just not call and see if i get papers or a warrant in the mail? Or should i go threw with the drug sting with hopes of my charges being dropped?

main thing is i just need advice

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? kansas

I was pulled over the cop smelt weed. he searched my car found a little bit of weed about .1 of a gram but he also found a half of a xanax i didnt even know was there. so he told me that all my charges were gonna be droped if i did a buy for them(snitch on my drug dealers). I said yea i can probably do that. I was then told i can leave but he said i need to call him tomorrow by 2pm or there will be a warrant. I was never given any police papers,not put in handcuffs and never had my rights read to me. I had this told to me by a cop before for somthing diffrent but almost the exact words ( need to call him or warrant). I dont know of any drug dealers in my town right now. Should i just not call and see if i get papers or a warrant in the mail? Or should i go threw with the drug sting with hopes of my charges being dropped.

main thing is i just need advice
I recommend you say nothing more to the police until you speak with an attorney in your area.

John1000

EDIT: at the point in the reading where i talk about the other cop that said the same thing to me i did NOT call him 1 time or talked to him since

quincy

EDIT: at the point in the reading where i talk about the other cop that said the same thing to me i did NOT call him 1 time or talked to him since
Good. If the police contact you again, I recommend you say that all communications with you should be made through your lawyer. Then get a lawyer with whom the police can communicate. :)

Good luck.

John1000

well i had a talk with my lawyer and he said that if the officer had enough to charge me i would of been arrested on spot and charged then later asked to do the sting in court he also told me the officer doesnt have the power to drop or stick the charges. So this makes me think the officer was just trying to scare me? what do you guys think?

quincy

well i had a talk with my lawyer and he said that if the officer had enough to charge me i would of been arrested on spot and charged then later asked to do the sting in court he also told me the officer doesnt have the power to drop or stick the charges. So this makes me think the officer was just trying to scare me? what do you guys think?
I agree that the police officer does not have the power to dismiss charges once they are filed against you. Dismissal will be up to the prosecutor.

I disagree that the officer would (necessarily) have arrested you on the spot if he had evidence to do so.

I don't know if the officer was trying to scare you or not. It is certainly not outside the realm of possibilities, though.

It was smart of you to speak with a lawyer. Speak with your lawyer again if you are charged with a crime. In the meantime, I recommend, once again, that you do not speak with the police without your attorney present.

Good luck.

John1000

some more facts about the case are

*the car i was driving was BORROWED i do not own this car or anything on the floor
*never told police the contraband they found in the car was mine
*the marijuana and half of pill were all found on the floor in places not visable to the naked eye
*I had no clue about anything on the floor i thought the car was clean

The charges he said i was gonna face is the marijuana (2nd time charged) and what ever the pill is.

Last edited:

quincy

some more facts about the case are

*the car i was driving was BORROWED i do not own this car or anything on the floor
*never told police the contraband they found in the car was mine
*the marijuana and half of pill were all found on the floor in places not visable to the naked eye
*I had no clue about anything on the floor i thought the car was clean

The charges he said i was gonna face is the marijuana (2nd time charged) and whatever the pill is.
Okay. Contact your attorney if you are charged with possession of marijuana and possession of whatever the pill is (you said Xanax earlier).

It does not really matter all that much that you borrowed the car. You were still in possession of the drugs found inside it.

You don't need to try out your possible defenses here, by the way. Your attorney will know what to do with the facts that are presented. In fact, the less that you say here or elsewhere, the better. :)

Good luck, John.

John1000

update: a couple cops came to my door wanting to talk to me saying im suppose to call the police station. I was not home But my mother did answer. They never said anything about a warrant all they said was to call. I called my lawyer he told me that if he was me he would not call and that it sounds a lot like police harassment. My question is could the cops that came to the door have a arrest warrant that they just didnt tell my mom about?

*they never asked to search the house
*the cops at the door had no papers in there hand

quincy

update: a couple cops came to my door wanting to talk to me saying im suppose to call the police station. I was not home But my mother did answer. They never said anything about a warrant all they said was to call. I called my lawyer he told me that if he was me he would not call and that it sounds a lot like police harassment. My question is could the cops that came to the door have a arrest warrant that they just didnt tell my mom about?

*they never asked to search the house
*the cops at the door had no papers in there hand
I disagree with the attorney you spoke to that the police coming to your home sounds like "police harassment." It would not be harassment if this would have been your first contact with the police since the traffic stop. I agree with your lawyer that you should not call the police, however. Your attorney can speak with the police for you, should it eventually become necessary.

If you were at home at the time the police visited (and not just your mom) and the police did not have a warrant for your arrest and they had just come to "talk" to you, THAT is when you say you wish to remain silent and the police should contact your attorney. You do not answer any questions posed by the police, whether they just wish to talk or whether they are arresting you. You refer all questions the police may have to your attorney.

Again, you should say NOTHING to anyone but your attorney. What you say to your attorney is privileged. What you say to the police, to your mom, to friends or to us on the forum is NOT privileged and can potentially be used against you in court.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">