• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possibly charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Swim314159

I live in Florida, I'm 17 and recently got pulled over and they eventually searched my car and found weed and lorazepam 4mgs, which is a schedule IV drug... He didn't charge me for the weed but said there could be charges for the lorazepam, he didn't set up a court date but said the attorney's office might and its up to them... I turn 18 in The end of March how concerned should I be and what possible charges will I be facing? Thanks cause I'm freaking out

quincy

I live in Florida, I'm 17 and recently got pulled over and they eventually searched my car and found weed and lorazepam 4mgs, which is a schedule IV drug... He didn't charge me for the weed but said there could be charges for the lorazepam, he didn't set up a court date but said the attorney's office might and its up to them... I turn 18 in The end of March how concerned should I be and what possible charges will I be facing? Thanks cause I'm freaking out
You have good reason to be concerned, and good reason to contact an attorney in your area if/when you are charged with drug possession and/or with whatever it was that led to the officer pulling you over and searching your vehicle. As the officer said, however, it will be up to the prosecutor to decide whether to pursue charges against you.

In the meantime, I recommend you say nothing about the search of your car or your possession of drugs, especially to the police if they contact you. If contacted, tell the police you will be speaking with an attorney and wish to exercise your right to remain silent. Then remain silent.

Good luck.

Here is a link to Florida's drug laws: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0800-0899/0893/Sections/0893.13.html

Last edited:

Swim314159

Further detail

Ok but something I should note is after he gave me my ticket he held me there and he asked me if he could search my car and I said I don't consent to any search and seizures of my property. He said he would call in a K-9 unit and if the dog found anything I would be brought to jail. He then went to his car while I waited with another officer. I asked the officer if I was being detain he said "just wait here until he comes back" then I asked if I'm free to leave and he said "wait here". Also how likely is it that they will actually set up a court date for me since the officer didn't set one up himself. It was only till the dog showed up that I confessed to the weed in my car, they then took the dog around as a "training exercise" the dog eventually sat down and they searched my car but I told them where the weed was but again they said they wouldn't charge me for the weed but they can't ignore the pills.

Swim314159

Further detail quote

Further detail
Ok but something I should note is after he gave me my ticket he held me there and he asked me if he could search my car and I said I don't consent to any search and seizures of my property. He said he would call in a K-9 unit and if the dog found anything I would be brought to jail. He then went to his car while I waited with another officer. I asked the officer if I was being detain he said "just wait here until he comes back" then I asked if I'm free to leave and he said "wait here". Also how likely is it that they will actually set up a court date for me since the officer didn't set one up himself. It was only till the dog showed up that I confessed to the weed in my car, they then took the dog around as a "training exercise" the dog eventually sat down and they searched my car but I told them where the weed was but again they said they wouldn't charge me for the weed but they can't ignore the pills.

justalayman

Dude, seriously;

Shut up. You could be ((probably will be) facing criminal charges. You have a right to remain silent; use it.

Talk to your attorney only; not mom, not dad, not girlfriend, not boyfriend, your dogs ok, not your best friend, nobody (except the dog and the attorney).

You need to understand anything you say, even here if discovered, can be used as evidence against you.

Swim314159

More advice

Ok but remember the weed isn't the thing being possibly charged from what I read online it's hard to say if the defense attorney will come after me as they are the ones who will decide whether to charge me... They have up to a year but do you think they will not pursue this one since it's my first time being pulled over and it is a small amount 4 mgs and the cop didn't set a court date and I'm a minor, also if they charge me after I turn 18 in March will I still be treated as a minor?

justalayman

I suspect you will be charged. You need to treat this seriously.

I have not checked Florida law but if the age makes a difference you should be charged as a minor given that was when the alleged crime took place. Most states do have the option of moving a minor to adult court if warranted. Some states charge 17 yo's as adults as a matter of law.

They didn't set a court date because the police will turn this over to the prosecutor who will review the case and determine if there is adequate evidence to file charges. There obviously is. Hang on for the ride and stop doing dope.

The only possible issue I see with your entire case is how long it took to get the dog there. If it was too long they may have blown their entire case. That is something your lawyer will need to review, if charges are filed.

dave33

Further detail
It's likely the pills were or are being sent to a lab. It's also likely when the results come back a warrant will be issued and you will be re-arrested and charged with a felony. You can challenge the reason for the search and any other constitutional issues if you can retain an attorney. This will be expensive. goodluck.

quincy

Further detail
This is all good information for you to give to your attorney and, because you seem anxious to talk about the stop, the search and the confiscation of your drugs, it is probably better that you contact an attorney NOW rather than waiting to be charged. You are free to tell your attorney whatever you want as what you say will be protected by attorney/client privilege. What you say to others outside of this privilege can be used against you.

What you have related indicates that, while the stop itself might have been legitimate (and this needs to be determined), there may be problems with what occurred after the stop (including having you wait for the K-9 unit). Your attorney will be able to determine if what occurred during the incident was legal and/or if the drug seizure can be used against you should you be charged with drug possession based on the search of your vehicle.

Again, SAY NOTHING - not to your friends, not to your family, not to us, and especially not to the police should they come calling. Speak only to your attorney.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">