• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post-Katrina Amnesty confusion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thausage

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

About a month before Katrina, Myself and a friend were arrested for simple possession af marijuana in St. Tammany Parish. We both made sure to attend the arraignment and were trying to take care of things properly, but this process was interrumped by the storm.

Upon my return I found out that the parish was granting amnesty to people w/ misdemeanor charges. My friend phoned in to make sure he had no warrants, and he was told he was in the clear, so we both assumed this was the case. About a week ago my friend was pulled over and arrested. As it turns out, we were supposed to turn ourselves in and plead guilty before a certain deadline.

I'm planning on turning myself in. I was hoping that there might be some chance my voluntary cooperation coupled w/ my ability to pass a drug screen might spare me any jail time. Any advice would be appreciated.

thausage

I wasn't expecting anything more than advice, knowing little about the law. I know 2 people related the the DA. Hell, I let one of them sleep in my house when he was too drunk to drive. The other I've been drinking w/ on numerous occasions. I'd feel like an ass taking advantage of that, but I've felt like an ass on many occasion.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">