• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Postponing a court date for rehab

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeedHelplease

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

My daughter has some serious drug charges for possession of heroin in Ocean County, NJ. Her court date is next week. We need to work up enough money to get a good lawyer for her. If we get her into a detox program then immediately into a rehab will the court date be postponed? Is this an acceptable excuse for postponing a court date or will it get her in more trouble?

We have wanted her to go to a 6 or 9 month rehab for a long time. I am hoping I can use the situation to force her into a program. If we don't find a way to delay this court date she is looking at going to prison for a long time. Please help.

Isis1

Going to rehab won't postpone her court date. She needs to be in rehab anyway. They can release her from the center for a court date. The rehab won't make her problems go away. But it does show repentance.

Any prior convictions? She wasn't on probation was she?

NeedHelplease

Two prior and two pending charges and all of them drug related. Along with a probation violation. We can't afford a lawyer right now. What are the chances of getting drug court with a public defender? What's the most likely outcome here?

Please don't think I'm being unnecessarily harsh here, but I honestly believe you need a healthy dose of reality.

The most likely out come is that your daughter will soon be dead if you don't shift your focus from getting her out of trouble to getting her into treatment for her very, very serious, deadly addiction.

NeedHelplease

I don't think your being harsh. My primary focus has always been her health and general well being. She doesn't need incarceration she needs treatment. She will not get well in prison. That's why I was asking about Drug Court because it is an intensive treatment program. Does anyone know if a public defender will be enough to get her into this program?

Banned_Princess

I don't think your being harsh. My primary focus has always been her health and general well being. She doesn't need incarceration she needs treatment. She will not get well in prison. That's why I was asking about Drug Court because it is an intensive treatment program. Does anyone know if a public defender will be enough to get her into this program?
If it is all you have, then it is all you have.

Your daughter and you will have a chance to go it over with the PD when you are given one... and if you are not satisfied with the best he ca do, you will need to decide what your real options are.

Personally I think the PD has a good relationship with the DA and might be able to work the magic you are looking for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">