• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pot, Kids and Handguns...Jail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

McKinney

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Collin County, Texas

I don't know what this means:

Events on record:
Open Warrant
Case filed by indictment
Capias issued unapprehended
Bond set at $2,500

What is the probable sentence for a first offense (8 yr old child, handguns and recent misdemeanor assault conviction) State Jail Felony marijuana possession >4oz <5lbs?

CPS & Narcs had been notified, Narc saw a plant the size of a Christmas tree hanging upside down on the back patio and took a picture, watched for a couple months, got search warrant, asked suspect permission to search the house for drugs--subject denied doing or having drugs. CPS and Narcs found 5 loaded guns within reach of child and over a pound of pot plants and baggies of pot.

Do you think he could go to jail for this?

Also, I am fighting him for supervised visitation for my 8 year old--he hired a lawyer and has all his neighbors saying what a great dad he is and he's countersuing me for damages to his credit rating because I divorced him and he's trying to get alimony

(btw...no double or single wides, but he should be leaving suburia (in handcuffs) soon.

why haven't they picked him up? It's been 3 months since the warrant was issued.

Thank you.

FlyingRon

Do you think he could go to jail for this?
You betcha.
Also, I am fighting him for supervised visitation for my 8 year old--he hired a lawyer and has all his neighbors saying what a great dad he is and he's countersuing me for damages to his credit rating because I divorced him and he's trying to get alimony
If he's the only adult there and he's arrested, the child will have to be placed somewhere.
why haven't they picked him up? It's been 3 months since the warrant was issued.
Who knows, but it's not necessary for them to "pick him up" at all to try him.

McKinney

Just to clarify...

I'm the custodial parent. He has full visitation and is joint managing conservator.

I filed a SAPCR modification motion requesting that HIS visits be supervised. I think with his felony charge, that should be a slam dunk win for me, n'est pas?

Thanks again.

Isis1

I'm the custodial parent. He has full visitation and is joint managing conservator.

I filed a SAPCR modification motion requesting that HIS visits be supervised. I think with his felony charge, that should be a slam dunk win for me, n'est pas?

Thanks again.
nothing is ever really a slam dunk.

how has this affected the child? dad stupidity on dad's non-parenting time is his own issue. and nothing to do with visitation.

however, wait till after dad is officially charged. a pending charge does nothing for you.

Just Blue

Thanks again.
Not necessarily...Remember the whole "Innocent until proven Guilty" thing??? ;)

McKinney

Another clarification...

...My 8 yr old son took the original pictures of the Christmas tree size pot plant hanging in the back patio and showed them to a police officer. That's what started this whole thing...the CPS complaint, the search warrant...

I frankly don't care if my ex smokes pot--I just don't want him doing it in front of our son since it's illegal and I believe in following laws. I want my son to understand that people who break laws have consequences.

btw...my son, although a straight "A" student, has already been involved in criminal mischief once--and he's only 9 now. This concerns me greatly.

I don't have a moral issue with pot-- just that I believe that there are rules and laws of society that need to be followed and that there should be consequences for non compliance.

Over the years, my son saw his father get away with a lot of crime (including robberty, adultery, filing false police reports, spousal abuse and cutting his own face to make the police think he was assaulted when actually HE was the assailant which resulted in the other person getting arrested and his father getting sympathy from the police). My son has witnessed all of this.

Thank GOD for the smart detectives and District Attorneys in this city who caught onto my ex really quick. The word they've used to describe him is "lunatic"

It's hard to teach a kid right from wrong when he is exposed to a sociopath who seems to get away with anything he wants without consequence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">