• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Potential drug charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gtd5017

Pennsylvania:
Someone I know is potentially facing drug charges. There was an anonymous letter that was given to the principal of the school stating that someone inside of the school was using and selling drugs during school hours. The only evidence available is statements from teachers in which over half of them knew. The drug in question is marijuana and was made into baked goods. What are the potential charges or alternatives for a first time offender if there is no concrete evidence (drugs in question are not found) and the only evidence is statements made from teachers saying they had knowledge of that person distributing drugs before, during, or after school? This person is going through a tremendous amount of anxiety and is waiting for an investigation taking place for the school in less than a day. The investigation is being handled by the school attorney who's expertise is in education.

FlyingRon

You're "friend" nees an attorney and to not publish information about his guilt on the internet. Just being in school doesn't give him any safe harbor. The teachers are free (and in many case OBLIGATED) to provide information about criminal activity. Whether that's enough to convict depends on information not presented here.

quincy

Pennsylvania:
Someone I know is potentially facing drug charges. There was an anonymous letter that was given to the principal of the school stating that someone inside of the school was using and selling drugs during school hours. The only evidence available is statements from teachers in which over half of them knew ... What are the potential charges or alternatives for a first time offender if there is no concrete evidence (drugs in question are not found) and the only evidence is statements made from teachers saying they had knowledge of that person distributing drugs before, during, or after school? ...
The fact that YOU know about the person in school using and selling drugs does not bode well for that person. The more people who know of his/her activity, the less likely the person is going to escape unscathed after an investigation. If or when the person is questioned by investigators, s/he should exercise the right to remain silent and get an attorney.

If the person is a student, s/he can be suspended, sent to an alternative school or expelled. If the person is on the staff, s/he can be (more than likely will be) fired. Criminal charges can result. What actually happens to the person depends on the drugs involved and how reliable "witness" statements are that point to this one particular individual as the drug dealer. Teacher statements can be given more weight than statements made by students.

Again, the friend needs to seek out assistance from a local attorney should there be questioning about drug use or sales, an arrest and/or charges filed.

Just Blue

Pennsylvania:
Someone I know is potentially facing drug charges. There was an anonymous letter that was given to the principal of the school stating that someone inside of the school was using and selling drugs during school hours. The only evidence available is statements from teachers in which over half of them knew. The drug in question is marijuana and was made into baked goods. What are the potential charges or alternatives for a first time offender if there is no concrete evidence (drugs in question are not found) and the only evidence is statements made from teachers saying they had knowledge of that person distributing drugs before, during, or after school? This person is going through a tremendous amount of anxiety and is waiting for an investigation taking place for the school in less than a day. The investigation is being handled by the school attorney who's expertise is in education.
So your solution to "this persons" anxiety is to post his legal situation on line. Sweet. :rolleyes:

commentator

I won't go so far as branding this dumb bunny a "criminal" yet, though I certainly agree that all the remorse is for getting caught. And I will say that I see at least a juvenile record and/or alternative school in this person's future. He can perfect his excuses and criminal skills there with others who share his interests in law breaking. And silly him, he thought he was going to go to college and have a brilliant future!

If this person hasn't yet come completely clean to his parents and asked them to get him legal help right away, he is setting himself up for a much worse failure and future. Any indication in juvenile court situations that the parents aren't actively involved and taking a very serious attitude about the situation is murder to the young person's chances of getting out of this without the most severe consequences.

I used to teach in high school, and believe me, whatever is going on among the kids, the teachers hear about it. Because they are just that, kids, and kids notoriously can't keep their mouths shut. And they are very impressed and proud to be in the know and able to mention other students who have reps for doing daring things, like bringing marijuana brownies to the class party. Just because they can't "produce" the evidence ( of course they can't, they ate it!!) and it is based on "heresay" doesn't mean they can't take serious action against you that will affect your future, even if they do not prosecute you criminally. What the guilty party may not realize is that everyone who has any opportunity to do so will sell him out and sing like a birdie about everything they know to try to keep themselves out of trouble. They may not even tell the absolute truth about their relative guilt compared to his. He needs an attorney. PRONTO.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I won't go so far as branding this dumb bunny a "criminal" yet...
Distributing drugs on school grounds...I'll go that far. It doesn't sound like we're talking about a dumb kid passing around a joint to his buddies in the bathroom.

ETA: I do agree with the rest of your post.

quincy

Although there have been more than one incident in Pennsylvania similar to what Gtd5017 describes, there is an 18-year-old high school student in Pennsylvania who was arrested recently for selling marijuana-laced brownies to another student. This other student later sold the brownies to middle school students. Some middle school students consumed the brownies.

The 18-year-old had his preliminary hearing yesterday. Among the charges are possession, possession with intent to deliver and corruption of minors. To my knowledge, the 18-year-old has not posted bond and is currently in jail and the other student has not been charged yet.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

There was a jerk jock selling in my daughters grad year. She told him to leave her alone or she was going to make sure he lost his college scholarship so he did. Then just before everyone graduated, he was arrested and lost the scholarship anyway.

quincy

There was a jerk jock selling in my daughters grad year. She told him to leave her alone or she was going to make sure he lost his college scholarship so he did. Then just before everyone graduated, he was arrested and lost the scholarship anyway.
Kids who sell drugs to other kids are generally not the type of applicants colleges look to enroll. Most dealers are not bright enough to escape detection and arrest.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
This, Quincy? It happened March 1.
http://6abc.com/news/teen-accused-of-selling-pot-brownies-to-middle-school-students/1224144/

quincy

This, Quincy? It happened March 1.
http://6abc.com/news/teen-accused-of-selling-pot-brownies-to-middle-school-students/1224144/
That is the one I was thinking of, yes. The preliminary hearing was yesterday for the older student/brownie-maker.

The unidentified student, who purchased the brownies from the 18-year-old and then re-sold them to middle-schoolers, has not been charged as yet (as far as I know).

It is possible that Gtd5017 is curious about what can happen to the student who purchased and then re-sold the drugs. It is probably a good bet that nothing good will happen to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">