• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Potential room mate in trouble for previous room mate's drug dealing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Illinoid

Potential room mate in trouble for previous room mate's drug dealing

I'm in Illinois.

My friend has an available room in his apartment. But he gave full disclosure that a previous room mate was arrested for drug dealing. Not only that, since his name is on the lease he himself was also arrested when the police came in and busted down doors. He spent a week in jail and still has a court date scheduled in the future about this matter. He was not aware that this room mate was dealing drugs before the arrest.

My question is: how risky is it for me to rent this room before the matter is completely settled? I don't know the details about whether he has a good lawyer or not, whether he can provide enough evidence that he was not aware of the illegal activity... I worry about him going to jail again, the police breaking down the doors again even though the dealer is long gone... I am naturally a worry wort type. Should this be a deal breaker to decide not to rent the room at this time? What should I realistically be worried about?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">