• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

premature plea agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sungrl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)CA. My husband and i were charged as co defendants in a case stemming from a search warrant in which we were arrested for drugs and weapons found in an area of the property in which we rented a house that we had no access or control over. I was able make bail, ($40,000) but he was held in custody and assigned a public defender. Through a "conflict" of some type with the pd's office,I was assigned a court appointed attorney. Our inital plea was not guilty, no time waived, entered by each of our attorneys in the same proceeding. Next was a pretrial hearing where we were offered a plea deal, and we had to both agree to plead guilty in exchange for probation terms and his being released. As much as I knew he wanted out, It was not worth being convicted of 5 felonies we were not guilty of. My lawyer advise me to provide him with documentation from my landlord stating the terms of my lease, excluding my use or accesses to a locked garage on the property, which I provided prior to the preliminary hearing. For whatever reason, this appearance began with his case being called first, and unaware of the evidence or subsequent dismissal of my case based on insufficient evidence. He agreed to a no contest plea to a lesser charge of simple possession, in order to be released after 22 days. He was found guilty, OR'd and referred to the probation dept. and to return in a month for setencing. It was after this my case was called and dropped. My question is, why was he and his defence not entitled to submit the same evidence that clearly included both of our names or even informed it existed before he took a bogus deal? Is there any way he can retract his plea and submit this evidence in return for the same dismissal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">