• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

prescribed drugs and family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

woodykas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UT

Hi,

I have a very simple question, how can I avoid to be charged for possession of prescribed drugs for my wife in case we have all our property shared ? Do I actually need to check our car before driving just to assume she may have left her pills here ? we have only one car and these pills is controlled substance and supposed to stop possible panic attack while driving.

It looks clear to me that I can be charged with possession of controlled substance while my wife is not inside vehicle. is that correct ?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UT

Hi,

I have a very simple question, how can I avoid to be charged for possession of prescribed drugs for my wife in case we have all our property shared ? Do I actually need to check our car before driving just to assume she may have left her pills here ? we have only one car and these pills is controlled substance and supposed to stop possible panic attack while driving.

It looks clear to me that I can be charged with possession of controlled substance while my wife is not inside vehicle. is that correct ?

Is there any reason why your wife can't carry her prescription meds in her purse?

And these are controlled/scheduled medications intended to deal with acute panic attacks, correct? Is she actually safe to drive after she takes one?

woodykas

Is there any reason why your wife can't carry her prescription meds in her purse?

And these are controlled/scheduled medications intended to deal with acute panic attacks, correct? Is she actually safe to drive after she takes one?
sure, she carry it in her purse. it is actually theoretical, not an practical question. for example, she leaves her purse at home and go to Gym, I am sitting at home at that time, am I in possession of controlled substance at that time ?

commentator

For you to be this worried about this practically moot issue.....????Are there substance abuse issues here? Yours, maybe hers?

If this was truly something you needed to worry about, OP, then your home could be invaded, and if your wife was not home, they could go to your medicine cabinet and charge you for posession of any drug they find there that they're interested in, because it's your mutual home and your wife isn't there to claim her prescription as her own.

Another scenario. They stop you driving erratically in your vehicle. You have in the seat beside you a prescription bottle containing heavy duty pain pills with the prescription in your wife's name. There are several lying out in the seat. They detect that you are obviously messed up. Do they arrest you? Absolutely.

They'd doubtless want to arrest you even if your wife was sitting there beside you swearing they were her prescription drugs.

swalsh411

If it's bothering you that much get a small safe that only she has the key or combination to for the pills at home.

justalayman

to support the OP's question;

I take a particular med several times daily. I maintain a limited supply in my vehicle in case I am in my vehicle when it is time to take the med. I also keep a limited supply in my lunchbox as well as my supply at home. I am almost always in a position where I will have acccess to my meds due to having my meds in those locations.

Yes, I could carry a little med storage device on my keychain or elsewhere but there are times where it is forgotten or lost (happened several times so I gave up on them actually) so keeping the supplies where I do has solved most all possibilities.

If somebody else was driving my vehicle, yes, it could cause a problem if they were stopped and the vehicle was searched for some reason. It would be constructive possession. It could lead to charges. Defending the charges could be difficult.

I would suspect the cops would realize it was not their vehicle and due to the fact it is registered in my name and the meds are in the actual bottle with the scrip on it, they would probably not attempt to make the charge of possession but they could.

Now, what could help is for your wife to employ a lockbox in the vehicle where she carried the only key or it was a biometric lock with only one "key" programmable.

Last edited:

woodykas

Thanks for you answers ! it is clear to me now.

p.s. it is like driving with half bottle of Gin in closed suitcase inside closed trunk. theoretically you can be charged for open container IMHO.

Last edited:

eerelations

sure, she carry it in her purse. it is actually theoretical, not an practical question. for example, she leaves her purse at home and go to Gym, I am sitting at home at that time, am I in possession of controlled substance at that time ?
Theoretically yes...but the police are going to find out about this how?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
p.s. it is like driving with half bottle of Gin in closed suitcase inside closed trunk. theoretically you can be charged for open container IMHO.
No. The Utah statute specifies that the prohibition applies to containers in the passenger compartment of the vehicle. This is specified in UT Code 41-6a-526 (3).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">