• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Psilocybin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blueooze

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I was in the passenger seat of my friend's car when he was pulled over for a loud muffler and for having something hanging from his rear view mirror. The police asked him to step out of the car, and then they asked me.

Immediately after we stepped out they began to search the car without permission. They said we had made suspicious movements which we definitely did not.

In my backpack in the back seat they found ~3g of psilocybin mushrooms. I told the police I did not know where they came from. I was arrested for possession of a controlled substance.

Was this search legal? Is my defense valid?

HomeGuru

I was in the passenger seat of my friend's car when he was pulled over for a loud muffler and for having something hanging from his rear view mirror. The police asked him to step out of the car, and then they asked me.

Immediately after we stepped out they began to search the car without permission. They said we had made suspicious movements which we definitely did not.

In my backpack in the back seat they found ~3g of psilocybin mushrooms. I told the police I did not know where they came from. I was arrested for possession of a controlled substance.

Was this search legal? Is my defense valid?

**A: how old is your car? Could you say that your car was so old that mushrooms were growing in the seats?

FlyingRon

You take your chances on the free advice wheel.

To be serious, perhaps you can challenge the search. More detail is needed than what you provided here and it's really not a DIY thing. You'll need a lawyer if you want to challenge this.

racer72

IImmediately after we stepped out they began to search the car without permission. They said we had made suspicious movements which we definitely did not.
I would be willing to bet the officer's recollection of this event differs by quite a bit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">