• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Psychiatric Evaluation Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlandry462

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) NH

I am 17 years old. I was charges with possession of marijuana (about 2.5 grams)and possession of paraphernalia with absolutely no criminal record. My parents called a close friend that is a cop, and he suggested I get a psychiatric evaluation. I'm scheduled to have one this Tuesday. My question is, what kind of questions will be asked, what should I expect, and what is the point of one? I smoked weed with my friends maybe twice a week on the weekends, if that helps at all.

Thanks!

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) NH

I am 17 years old. I was charges with possession of marijuana (about 2.5 grams)and possession of paraphernalia with absolutely no criminal record. My parents called a close friend that is a cop, and he suggested I get a psychiatric evaluation. I'm scheduled to have one this Tuesday. My question is, what kind of questions will be asked, what should I expect, and what is the point of one? I smoked weed with my friends maybe twice a week on the weekends, if that helps at all.

Thanks!
I fail to see how a psych evaluation will help you at all! Are you going to argue that you were mentally incapable of understanding that possession marijuana was a crime?

I suspect you are wasting your money, but, if you want to get such an evaluation, go right ahead. The court need not accept it at all and probably will not as it will almost certainly not be relevant to the proceedings. If your attorney wants to plead not guilty due to mental illness (a stretch) the court will order the evaluation. Before you waste money on a private evaluation, you should check to see if your attorney agrees that it is a worthwhile idea.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Maybe your parents' "close friend" thinks you're crazy. Does he even know you?

An insanity defense for a minor possession charge is a bit strange, to say the least!

You Are Guilty

In a case like this, it's likely the goal of the eval is to show you were (are?) not a habitual pothead and this was just a one time thing that will not happen again. It's basically leverage to try to get an ACD or probation of some sort. (Of course, it could easily backfire when you ask the shrink if he wants to smoke a bowl with you during the testing).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">