• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

public pretender ughhhhh! Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mizchief999

What is the name of your state? Clay County, Florida
My nephew was charged with possession of a controlled substance w/o a script in CC, before he made it to court, he went camping in Alachua County, he left the campsite to run to the store and got pulled over and charged with DUI, Elluding( he turned his flashers on and proceded at a slow speed to a lit part of roadway), Possession of cann. under 20, possession of controlled w/o a script, the ironic part of these charges were everything was in his g/f's purse behind the seat and they found it after he refused a breathalizer, his g/f was still at the campsite, he went to court for the original charge in CC and got a yrs probation, the night he went to court, he got pulled over and found out his D/L was susp. since he had refused the breathalizer( we weren't aware of this), we thought it was good until he went to court on the DUI charge, he got arrested. Because of this he violated probation. He was assigned a public defender but after several repeated attempts to contact her he went to court for his PD to show up 3 minutes prior to his name being called. How do you deal with this? Is there any recourse for a public defender that won't even return your calls? This is all crazy, he isn't a bad kid but he is sure getting a bad rap!:(

You Are Guilty

Let's see. You call the person assigned to help this model of society a "public pretender" and expect the people in the same profession to spend their time and energy helping, for free? Well, OK, I'll bite. My advice is to make sure you and your nephew both wear big "white trash" name tags where ever you go so that no one accidentally mistakes you for productive members of society.

PS: "He isn't a bad kid"?!?! :rolleyes:

Silverplum

Let's see. You call the person assigned to help this model of society a "public pretender" and expect the people in the same profession to spend their time and energy helping, for free? Well, OK, I'll bite. My advice is to make sure you and your nephew both wear big "white trash" name tags where ever you go so that no one accidentally mistakes you for productive members of society.

PS: "He isn't a bad kid"?!?! :rolleyes:
Yup. I agree completely with YAG.
Ingrate. :rolleyes:

mizchief999

White trash? I work for the school board, have 3 productive children myself, 1 fighting currently to defend the freedom of ALL, not any of mine have EVER been in trouble, I pay my taxes( for free? ha! doesn't feel free when I get my tax bill every yr!) He has put out 10k in lawyers fees in Alachua Co., it's CC giving him a problem, it should have been a simple procedure, but it is hard to do anything when you can't even talk to the one supposedly representing you, I didn't say he was a model citizen , granted he has made some bad decisions, mostly the kind of people he chooses to associate with, but he goes to work everyday and takes care of his children, he definately has some growing up to do and hopefully has learned some lessons in all this. I was just curious as the procedure in how they appoint a certain PD to any given case, if you could answer that without appointing yourself judge, jury, and executioner it would be greatly appreciated!

FlyingRon

before he made it to court
You think he would tone things down once he was caught the first itme.
pulled over and charged with DUI, Elluding( he turned his flashers on and proceded at a slow speed to a lit part of roadway), Possession of cann. under 20, possession of controlled w/o a script, the ironic part of these charges were everything was in his g/f's
The girlfriend was responsible for driving while intoxicated? The girlfriend forced him not to take the REQUIRED BY LAW alcohol test?
The night he went to court, he got pulled over and found out his D/L was susp. since he had refused the breathalizer( we weren't aware of this)
It is automatic on the refusal for a year (at least). Did he miss the part where the cop took away his license and gave him the 10 day special?
We thought it was good until he went to court on the DUI charge, he got arrested. Because of this he violated probation.
Probation requires you not to get into more trouble while on probation. Driving on a suspended license is a violation.
How do you deal with this? Is there any recourse for a public defender that won't even return your calls?
The PD isn't obliged to talk to you. The recourse is for him to ask for time to talk to his lawyer, but frankly, what do you expect to happen? Pretty cut and dry probation violation: the "I didn't know I was suspended" argument isn't going to wash no matter what lawyer you use.
This is all crazy, he isn't a bad kid but he is sure getting a bad rap!:(
Lets see, other than the eluding which he could (did?) beat. Seems like he:

1. Had drugs and was busted.
2. Drove drunk.
3. Had posession of his GF's drugs
4. Refused a breathalizer

and then while on probation, he went around and drove while suspended and he either knew or should have known that he was suspended.

So what bad rap is in play here? How did the court date go? I suspect that nothing too bad did? He's not in jail is he?

mizchief999

Yes, He is in jail, he went to court and was arrested, I know this is the way it works, he did request time to consult his lawyer but she was never available, I have not tried to contact his PD, I was simply trying to answer a question for my sister on how this works, obviously we have no prior exp. and hopefully will have no future exp.. He has court dates coming up for the driving on suspended and violation of probation, any idea what kind of sentence he is facing? He has been in since June 21st. Is it a possibility for him to request a different PD?

mizchief999

craigslist
online community

Not Found

There is nothing here

No web page for this address

404 Error

this is what I got....even though I am pretty certain this is not what you intended me to see, in essence it is the same thing, point taken!
-------------
O
O ^__^
o (oo)\_______
(__)\ )\/\
||----w |
|| ||

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Came up fine for me - are you sure you know how to use that thing?

Date: 2005-04-26, 10:49AM PDT

First, let me say I love my job and it is a privilege to work for my clients. I wish I could do more for them. That being said, there are a few things that need to be discussed.

You have the right to remain silent. So SHUT THE **** UP. Those cops are completely serious when they say your statements can and will be used against you. There’s just no need to babble on like it’s a drink and dial session. They are just pretending to like you and be interested in you.

When you come to court, consider your dress. If you’re charged with a DUI, don’t wear a Budweiser shirt. If you have some miscellaneous drug charge, think twice about clothing with a marijuana leaf on it or a t-shirt with the “UniBonger” on it. Long sleeves are very nice for covering tattoos and track marks. Try not to be visibly drunk when you show up.

Consider bathing and brushing your teeth. This is just as a courtesy to me who has to stand by you in court. Smoking 5 generic cigarettes to cover up your bad breath is not the same as brushing. Try not to cough and spit on my while you speak and further transmit your strep, flu, and hepatitis A through Z.

I’m a lawyer, not your fairy godmother. I probably won’t find a loophole or technicality for you, so don’t be pissed off. I didn’t beat up your girlfriend, steal that car, rob that liquor store, sell that crystal meth, or rape that 13 year old. By the time we meet, much of your fate has been sealed, so don’t be too surprised by your limited options and that I’m the one telling you about them.

Don’t think you’ll improve my interest in your case by yelling at me, telling me I’m not doing anything for you, calling me a public pretender or complaining to my supervisor. This does not inspire me, it makes me hate you and want to work with you even less.

It does not help if you leave me nine messages in 17 minutes. Especially if you leave them all on Saturday night and early Sunday morning. This just makes me want to stab you in the eye when we finally meet.

For the guys: Don’t think I’m amused when you flirt or offer to “do me.” You can’t successfully rob a convenience store, forge a signature, pawn stolen merchandise, get through a day without drinking, control your temper, or talk your way out of a routine traffic stop. I figure your performance in other areas is just as spectacular, and the thought of your shriveled unwashed body near me makes me want to kill you and then myself.

For the girls: I know your life is rougher than mine and you have no resources. I’m not going to insult you by suggesting you leave your abusive pimp/boyfriend, that you stop taking meth, or that your stop stealing ****. I do wish you’d stop beating the crap out of your kids and leaving your needles out for them to play with because you aren’t allowing them to have a life that is any better than yours.

For the morons: Your second grade teacher was right – neatness counts. Just clean up! When you rob the store, don’t leave your wallet. When you drive into the front of the bank, don’t leave the front license plate. When you rape/assault/rob a woman on the street, don’t leave behind your cell phone. After you abuse your girlfriend, don’t leave a note saying that you’re sorry.

If you are being chased by the cops and you have dope in your pocket – dump it. These cops are not geniuses. They are out of shape and want to go to Krispy Kreme and most of all go home. They will not scour the woods or the streets for your 2 grams of meth. But they will check your pockets, idiot. 2 grams is not worth six months of jail.

Don’t be offended and say you were harassed because the security was following you all over the store. Girl, you were wearing an electronic ankle bracelet with your mini skirt. And you were stealing. That’s not harassment, that’s good store security.

And those kids you churn out: how is it possible? You’re out there breeding like feral cats. What exactly is the attraction of having sex with other meth addicts? You are lacking in the most basic aspects of hygiene, deathly pale, greasy, grey-toothed, twitchy and covered with open sores. How can you be having sex? You make my baby-whoring crack head clients look positively radiant by comparison.

"I didn't put it all the way in." Not a defense.

"All the money is gone now." Not a defense

"The bitch deserved it." Not a defense.

"But that dope was so stepped on, I barely got high." Not a defense.

"She didn't look thirteen." Possibly a defense; it depends.

"She didn't look six." Never a defense, you just need to die.

For those rare clients that say thank-you, leave a voice mail, send a card or flowers, you are very welcome. I keep them all, and they keep me going more than my pitiful COLA increase.

For the idiots who ask me how I sleep at night: I sleep just fine, thank you. There's nothing wrong with any of my clients that could not have been fixed with money or the presence of at least one caring adult in their lives. But that window has closed, and that loss diminishes us all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">