• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pulled over for expired plates and was told i wouldnt be charged for the weed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RMark629

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri, st.charles area

I just recieved a summons for having less then 35g of marijuana which is a misdeamenor

i was pulled over 5 months ago, the officer planned on pulling me over to let me know my license plate tags were expired but i was within the 30 day grace period
, it turned into driving on revoked license and asked to search my vehicle, i told him go ahead there is weed and a pipe in the ashtray. He arrested me for the revoked DL and gave me a sobriety check and deemed i wasnt under the influence. While i was being booked the officer that arrested me came into the booking room took my pipe and small sack of weed off the counter and went out the door. After i was booked he brought me into a cell and explained to me that he wasnt going to charge me with the possesion charge. After he said that he went on to tell me he wanted me to do something for him and gave me his business card and told me basically he wanted me to rat someone out and call him with their information. Upon leaving the facility I had only 2 tickets, one for driving while revoked and one for improper use of license plate (license plate was in my name only not for my current truck).

Is there anythin I can really do at this point? Our jailcells are also video recorded however im not sure if there is sound.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri, st.charles area

I just recieved a summons for having less then 35g of marijuana which is a misdeamenor

i was pulled over 5 months ago, the officer planned on pulling me over to let me know my license plate tags were expired but i was within the 30 day grace period
, it turned into driving on revoked license and asked to search my vehicle, i told him go ahead there is weed and a pipe in the ashtray. He arrested me for the revoked DL and gave me a sobriety check and deemed i wasnt under the influence. While i was being booked the officer that arrested me came into the booking room took my pipe and small sack of weed off the counter and went out the door. After i was booked he brought me into a cell and explained to me that he wasnt going to charge me with the possesion charge. After he said that he went on to tell me he wanted me to do something for him and gave me his business card and told me basically he wanted me to rat someone out and call him with their information. Upon leaving the facility I had only 2 tickets, one for driving while revoked and one for improper use of license plate (license plate was in my name only not for my current truck).

Is there anythin I can really do at this point? Our jailcells are also video recorded however im not sure if there is sound.
Get an attorney - not sure what you are asking...your little conversation at the jail won't get you out of this.

dave33

Yea, there is something you can do...Show up to court.

He lied, no surprise there.

If you worked for the police, you did it for nothing. Heck, being a rat, you get what you deserve.

RMark629

well in that case im glad im not a rat. i just find it wrong that a police officer can say their not going to charge you for something and you get a summons months later.

dave33

well in that case im glad im not a rat. i just find it wrong that a police officer can say their not going to charge you for something and you get a summons months later.
When dealing with the police for the first time I think most people are surprised at the things that are legal for them to do. In non-violent situations it often seems the police do more damage than good. Live and learn.

RMark629

When dealing with the police for the first time I think most people are surprised at the things that are legal for them to do. In non-violent situations it often seems the police do more damage than good. Live and learn.
Ehh not my first time, ive been arrested several times all dealing with my license but this is my first time dealing with any trouble concerning weed or any drug. I was just trying to goto work..

justalayman

well, there ya go. You did not provide him with any information so you were charged with the possession. Did you really expect anything less since you did not act as an informant?

TyG

damn man thats some shady stuff.. i would of used another word but it would of been blurred by <xyz> lol.. anyway, but from my experiences in the past, im only 22, you can prove something went on there when you do go to court, do NOT miss your first court hearing, if you can't afford an attorney ask for one, and tell your attorney what happened, if you still have the cop's card, give that to your attorney and tell him/her what you want to be brought as far as the video goes, that along with the officer's card will be evidence enough of wrongful prosecution. I am not a lawyer by far, but to me it seems like common sense and an attorney should be able to help, even if they are provided by the government. If you still have the card, and your still kind of sweating it, you can always ask for a continuance, usually that happens anyway when you get a public deffender, that gives you and your appointed attorney time to discuss the details of the case. Once again im not an attorney, but I feel like that is wrongful prosecution, as well as anyone else would if they were placed in your shoes. You do not have to provide any information the police, that is at your own will. Like you stated you walked out with the 2 tickets, bring those as well and the court papers will state when you where charged with the "possession" and it won't add to any person, law enforcement or not.

please keeps this one updated because i know how it is for that stuff.. i would like to know the outcome, worst case scenario you might be looking at 12-24 months probation or a court man-dated drug class, either way that blows.

RMark629

damn man thats some shady stuff.. i would of used another word but it would of been blurred by <xyz> lol.. anyway, but from my experiences in the past, im only 22, you can prove something went on there when you do go to court, do NOT miss your first court hearing, if you can't afford an attorney ask for one, and tell your attorney what happened, if you still have the cop's card, give that to your attorney and tell him/her what you want to be brought as far as the video goes, that along with the officer's card will be evidence enough of wrongful prosecution. I am not a lawyer by far, but to me it seems like common sense and an attorney should be able to help, even if they are provided by the government. If you still have the card, and your still kind of sweating it, you can always ask for a continuance, usually that happens anyway when you get a public deffender, that gives you and your appointed attorney time to discuss the details of the case. Once again im not an attorney, but I feel like that is wrongful prosecution, as well as anyone else would if they were placed in your shoes. You do not have to provide any information the police, that is at your own will. Like you stated you walked out with the 2 tickets, bring those as well and the court papers will state when you where charged with the "possession" and it won't add to any person, law enforcement or not.

please keeps this one updated because i know how it is for that stuff.. i would like to know the outcome, worst case scenario you might be looking at 12-24 months probation or a court man-dated drug class, either way that blows.

Well since you asked ill remember to keep this updated. However my court settlement probably wont be until close to summer because the other two tickets i got (driving while revoked and license plates) are still in court along with my dwi that i got a year ago. Ill be stopping by my lawyers office sometime soon to introduce this new item to his list of stuff to get fixed and update when i do

OHRoadwarrior

Ehh not my first time, ive been arrested several times all dealing with my license but this is my first time dealing with any trouble concerning weed or any drug. I was just trying to goto work..
No you weren't, you out breaking several laws. People go to work all the time without getting arrested on the way.

justalayman

what are you talking about? This is not wrongful prosecution. There is a statute of limitations concerning the charging of all crimes. As long as it is within the limitations imposed on the crime charged, there is nothing improper about prosecuting the crime. OP will have an opportunity to defend himself in court. Based upon what he has said, there doesn't appear to be a valid defense to the charges.

The video, even if it was available, provides no defense to the charges.

This is a real simple, and typical situation:

OP got caught breaking the law
cop told OP he would not file the charges if OP would become an informant
OP did not become an informant so the charges were filed

dave33

what are you talking about? This is not wrongful prosecution. There is a statute of limitations concerning the charging of all crimes. As long as it is within the limitations imposed on the crime charged, there is nothing improper about prosecuting the crime. OP will have an opportunity to defend himself in court. Based upon what he has said, there doesn't appear to be a valid defense to the charges.

The video, even if it was available, provides no defense to the charges.

This is a real simple, and typical situation:

OP got caught breaking the law
cop told OP he would not file the charges if OP would become an informant
OP did not become an informant so the charges were filed

I completely agree. I don't think TYG has a realistic understanding of how this works.

TyG

His lawyer, he's obviously paying for one, is going to get the possession charges dropped, no worries just be glad they didnt also get you with paraphernalia.. thats where they got me.. I dont know for sure...<Aiming directly at, justalayman,< but everyone ive ever known gets simple possession charges dropped when they come in with a paid attorney, because your attorney will be paid by you, and will fight a little bit harder then a public defender, also paid attorneys also have a little pull with certain judges..

I could be wrong<JUSTALAYMAN<, but i think he/she would be able to get at least 1 of the 3 tickets dropped.

but don't sweat any jail time, they would of arrested you already if they wanted to lock you up.

Also THANK YOU FOR NOT BEING A SNITCH LOL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">