• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

denverartist

What is the name of your state? Colorado

What is the law in Colorado for growing one (just one) marijuana plant? What is the law here regarding possession of a few (3-5) seeds? The laws in Denver are not the same as the federal and state laws, yet it has been hard to find what specifically the laws would be for this. It seems to be a very gray area.

seniorjudge

denverartist said:

What is the law in Colorado for growing one (just one) marijuana plant? What is the law here regarding possession of a few (3-5) seeds? The laws in Denver are not the same as the federal and state laws, yet it has been hard to find what specifically the laws would be for this. It seems to be a very gray area.
http://www.levellers.org/ccpr1.htm

Ask these folks...maybe they will remember, maybe not.

denverartist

question

Oddly, they won't answer either. No one wants to touch this issue with a ten foot pole. I have been looking for answers to those questions for a long time.
I don't sell or use it. It's just for my own interest. I am an avid gardener and collector who just thinks it would be a terrific addition to my collection. Just checking out the real risk to see if it would be worth it. I have never had so much as a traffic ticket and just wouldn't want to take the risk of Big Brother, on a slow day when they don't have anything better to do, busting me for having it. It is no secret that the little guys make much easier targets. So if the risk is too high, then I'll forget about the whole thing. Simple.

seniorjudge

denverartist said:
Oddly, they won't answer either. No one wants to touch this issue with a ten foot pole. I have been looking for answers to those questions for a long time.
I don't sell or use it. It's just for my own interest. I am an avid gardener and collector who just thinks it would be a terrific addition to my collection. Just checking out the real risk to see if it would be worth it. I have never had so much as a traffic ticket and just wouldn't want to take the risk of Big Brother, on a slow day when they don't have anything better to do, busting me for having it. It is no secret that the little guys make much easier targets. So if the risk is too high, then I'll forget about the whole thing. Simple.

Hey, if you want to get busted for a weed, go right ahead.

Me, I will pick another hill to die on....

smutlydog

denverartist said:

One plant isn't worth the hassle after factoring in the cost and risk.

The Occultist

Just assume federal laws apply (states aren't allowed to grant rights that federal has taken away), and that the state laws could only be more severe.

denverartist

You’re right. I guess what made me start thinking about this are the new laws in Denver and how recreational marijuana issues are now being handled in the courts here. Indeed, it was federal law that I was worried about. (We all know that if I wanted to smoke it, it would be much easier in Denver just to buy a small amount. )
As I understand it, in Denver a person can have pot smoke blowing out their ears, nose and ass all at the same time as long as they have less than one ounce of pot, but no more. If caught with less than an ounce they just go to court, pay a very small fine, and leave. It doesn’t even count as a misdemeanor for that kind of limited recreational use, but more like a minor ticket.
So I started thinking where an interest in it from a botanical standpoint would lie with regard to this new law, since my plant would have never been dried, sold or used otherwise. It is an interesting question. I was going to eventually try cross-breeding it with some other species for some of it’s unique visual characteristics. It could have been a rather magnificent huge monster hybrid. And quite a fun project! By then, from a genetic standpoint it would really no longer even be the “wicked weed”, which might bring up even more legal questions.
But laws change, just as our interests change. Thanks for your input. Let me know if you all are aware of any new federal law that says it’s okay to raise marijuana just for kicks and thrills. I’m just a hobbyist who wanted some informed second opinions from people experienced in this area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">