• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about bail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kbtd

What is the name of your state? Georgia
My boyfriend is in jail on a drug charge. He has been denied bond for the time being. There is another man in the same jail whose bond was set at $150,000 for the same charge. My question is when my boyfriend is set a bond if it is this high is there a way to fight an excessive bond. Is this an excessive bond for a meth charge.

seniorjudge

My boyfriend is in jail on a drug charge. He has been denied bond for the time being. There is another man in the same jail whose bond was set at $150,000 for the same charge. My question is when my boyfriend is set a bond if it is this high is there a way to fight an excessive bond. Is this an excessive bond for a meth charge.

I didn't realize the bail was so low in Georgia!

Some Random Guy

The judge has the discretion to adjust bail for the curcumstances of the case, including any aggravating factors, the criminal history of the defendant and the defendant's liklilhood of appearing for trial.

If your boyfriend feels that the lack of bail is unreasonable, his lawyer should petition for a modification.

An arrest for simple possession of small amounts of meth in GA often results in bond of $10,000 or so. I suspect your boyfriend is in jail for something much more serious, such as distribution, manufacturing or trafficking. In that case a high bond, or none, is not out of line with other cases in Georgia. Especially if he was charged with other offenses in addition to the meth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">