• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about Deferred Prosecution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

monroe00

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I know that TASC is a method of deferred prosecution... How long usually after the court date are you admitted? Do you usually enter in right away? I am just wondering because I know that some drugs stay in your system for months, so if you quit when you were caught but then you are admitted and still tested positive because the drugs haven't left your system yet what happens?

outonbail

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I know that TASC is a method of deferred prosecution... How long usually after the court date are you admitted?
This will usually depend on the availability of the particular program as this can vary depending on how full classes are and if beds are available etc. I'm not familiar with Arizona's diversion programs, but there are usually several different levels of programs available depending on whether it is your first time and if it is an in house program where you are living at the treatment facility or if you are only required to attend a specific number of classes each week. It can also make a difference if this program is provided for free or if you are choosing the facility and paying for the treatment. But generally speaking, the courts want you to begin as soon as you can possibly begin to receive treatment and they will often set time limits on how soon you must sign up and when the treatment must be completed by. Besides, if someone is admitting they have a problem and truly want help and/or treatment to get off of a substance, why would they not want to have this process begin immediately?

Do you usually enter in right away? I am just wondering because I know that some drugs stay in your system for months, so if you quit when you were caught but then you are admitted and still tested positive because the drugs haven't left your system yet what happens?
Most programs don't terminate you on the first dirty UA. However, the tests are usually able to determine the level of a particular substance in your system and this will provide them with a good idea of how long ago the drugs were consumed. The sensitivity of the tests or the ability to determine smaller amounts of a drug in someone's system can also vary depending on the type of test given. A urine test may not turn up any traces of a drug where a hair follicle test can for months. However most of these programs utilize a urine test as it is easier for them to collect and control samples and not as costly as other methods of testing. Plus these programs are interested in what you are consuming in recent times, while you are entered into their program and receiving treatment, not what you were doing last winter. They are there to help you get off of drugs so you have a promising future, they can't do anything about what you did in the past.
However, if you are tested weekly and the drug traces do not decrease with time or actually increase, you can expect to be terminated or sent back to court where you can explain to the judge why you are not following the rules and continuing to use drugs. These programs are not going to force feed you into complying with the rules and refraining from drug use. If you are not willing to do your part or have only signed up for a class so you didn't get sent to jail, they will not waste their time offering you treatment when you really don't want it. You are in the program for your benefit, it is up to you to make it work. If you don't, then you'll eventually end up in jail or the morgue, so the choice is yours to make. These treatment facilities will not play games with you, they are not fooled by someone who is not serious about wanting help when they really don't. So they focus on the people who they can help and let the others suffer the consequences of their actions.

The Occultist

Monroe, you, or your friend (whoever is really in trouble here) really does not have anything to worry about at all as long as it is a first offense and you (or your friend) stays clean. You are putting way too much stress into this situation. By all means, read my first post on this board if you doubt my knowledge in this area, but really, first offense possession charge in AZ doesn't mean anything at all as long as you learn from it.

You have made quite a few posts about this topic. I understand your concern here, but you need to believe that AZ really is lenient for first-time non-violent offenders. Really. Learn from the second chance, and you won't have any problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">