• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about plea in abeyance for possession and paraphernalia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hmmsomething

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UT

I was visiting family in Utah a few months ago. I was staying with my parents for a little while since I have sometime off from my job. I normally reside/live/work in California. I have a medical card from the state of California that affords me the privilege to use medical cannabis for pain and depression therapy.

I am an occasional (2-3 times a month) consumer of cannabis primarily in cold weather that causes me joint pain from multiple strains to my ankles and knees or for days I just feel so blue I can't function to get out of the house.

While visiting my parents who live in Utah I was stopped by police and they had smelled my stuff from the car during the stop. I was cited/arrested and released on recognizance for possession and paraphernalia. I hired an attorney to defend me in Utah.

I had a pretrial hearing about a month ago. The prosecutor offered me an plea in abeyance because I was cooperative with the law enforcement. Their offer was 18 months abstinence from consumption with random UA's, drug treatment/counseling and pay an abeyance fee.

I haven't consumed since the date of the arrest. Over 3 months now, I am not a resident of the state of Utah but I am assuming the court thinks I am because the arrest on the citation has my parents address written on it. I think that the offer is excessive since the punishment would normally be 1 year probation. I understand that after 18 months on the abeyance that I would have both charges dismissed granted I complete it, which I would if the court set it as I would rather not go to jail or face further issues.

I haven't proposed this to my attorney yet, but if I were to submit to a follicle test to show that I am not some pot head drug abuser that I could get 6 months on the abeyance. I don't believe that I require drug treatment of any kind since I am in control of my consumption and well educated in effects of cannabis.

I can say that medical cannabis has helped me in coping with my pain in my knees, ankles and my depression. I primarily vaporized but since I was traveling out of state I chose to take with me a small pipe since a vaporizer is not easy to take with me.

Think it is possible for me to get that abeyance agreement reduced if I can show I haven't consumed in over 3 months?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">