• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question on precursor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnny245

We live in Illinois. We got a call from the state police thay my 19 year old brother had been arrested for buying pills to make meth. Under 15 grams of pseudofedrin. We had no clue he was into this stuff. They initially set his bail at 25000, or 2500 cash. We wanted to let him sit for awhile. He think got it reduced to 1000 and we are still letting him set. He has another court appearance tomorrow. I went to the jailhouse today, for visiting hours and they told me he wasn't allowed to have any visitors at all. Any clue why this is, they wouldn't tell me why. Also family members have sent Him facebook messages and one was replied to with 'he is incarcerated, please do not message him'. Is it legal for them to go through his phone without notifying him? They states attorney told us, being it was his first offense he would likely get a strict probation as its his first offense, but no promises. What route do we take when he gets out? Will his phone constantly be getting tracked when he gets out? Just trying to figure out what to expect.

FlyingRon

Those on short term holds are typically not allowed visitors. What you need to do is assist him in finding an attorney.

We live in Illinois. We got a call from the state police thay my 19 year old brother had been arrested for buying pills to make meth. Under 15 grams of pseudofedrin. We had no clue he was into this stuff. They initially set his bail at 25000, or 2500 cash. We wanted to let him sit for awhile. He think got it reduced to 1000 and we are still letting him set. He has another court appearance tomorrow. I went to the jailhouse today, for visiting hours and they told me he wasn't allowed to have any visitors at all. Any clue why this is, they wouldn't tell me why. Also family members have sent Him facebook messages and one was replied to with 'he is incarcerated, please do not message him'. Is it legal for them to go through his phone without notifying him? They states attorney told us, being it was his first offense he would likely get a strict probation as its his first offense, but no promises. What route do we take when he gets out? Will his phone constantly be getting tracked when he gets out? Just trying to figure out what to expect.

Your 19 year old brother in all likelyhood is going to be charged the sale and or the manufacturing of a controlled substance.
I can’t tell you why you couldn’t see him it could be for any of a number of reasons.
Is going through his phone legal? Probably not. The courts are still deciding that one.
What route do you take? You don’t take any route; this is all entirely on your brother. IF he gets off with probation you can help him by making sure he follows the conditions of his probation to the letter and insist that he is enrolled in a substance abuse program. If not, he’s going to do some hard time if he violates any of the terms of probation.
I’d get him the best Attorney you can afford. He’s probably looking at three to five years in a state prison.
Good luck.
..___________________________
~ There is such a fine line between clever and stupid

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why do you assume the jail has his phone?

dave33

If you want to help your brother then post the bail and get him an attorney. He will hopefully not make any incriminating statements if questioned. Also, stop talking to the prosecutor, you may convince them this was strictly business and not due to any abuse issues. You already have him convicted, relax and go through the process. Anyone's phone can be used as a monitoring device so caution may be warranted. goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">