• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding roommates and marijuana?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hogspot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OKLAHOMA

Hi. Thanks in advance for any advice provided!

I have a brother that has been living with me for a few months. He likes to smoke pot, keeps it in the garage...not a lot, I'm not sure on measurements, etc., but usually a little sandwich bag that's about half full. I do not smoke pot, etc., but I guess my question is:

What are the consequences for me, as the home owner, if the police one day just happen to come to my house and find the marijuana or smell the marijuana? Even if I do not know they are smoking, or in chance, I am not home when they are smoking in the garage, is this my responsibility and will I receive the penalties, fines, and possible imprisonment? I am progressing for a professional certification that if this were to fall on me, I would be on probation for a minimum of two years and possibility of not being certified...this is why I ask.

Thanks again.

cyjeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OKLAHOMA

Hi. Thanks in advance for any advice provided!

I have a brother that has been living with me for a few months. He likes to smoke pot, keeps it in the garage...not a lot, I'm not sure on measurements, etc., but usually a little sandwich bag that's about half full. I do not smoke pot, etc., but I guess my question is:

What are the consequences for me, as the home owner, if the police one day just happen to come to my house and find the marijuana or smell the marijuana? Even if I do not know they are smoking, or in chance, I am not home when they are smoking in the garage, is this my responsibility and will I receive the penalties, fines, and possible imprisonment? I am progressing for a professional certification that if this were to fall on me, I would be on probation for a minimum of two years and possibility of not being certified...this is why I ask.

Thanks again.
You have full knowledge of an illegal substance under your roof to the point where you could go get it right now if asked.

You would most certainly be charged along with bro for possession.

I would force bro to leave his pot outside of your property.

hogspot

Well, that's where my question pertains...I know he smokes in the garage or in the backyard...I do not know where he keeps the pot. I found it in the house one time by smelling it (pretty distinctive smell) and tossed the sack in the trash.

My biggest question is if he is caught smoking it in my garage or on my property with his friends, and I'm in say the living room, or not even home, am I liable or at fault even if I do not know they are smoking at the time?

Thanks again.

cyjeff

Well, that's where my question pertains...I know he smokes in the garage or in the backyard...I do not know where he keeps the pot. I found it in the house one time by smelling it (pretty distinctive smell) and tossed the sack in the trash.

My biggest question is if he is caught smoking it in my garage or on my property with his friends, and I'm in say the living room, or not even home, am I liable or at fault even if I do not know they are smoking at the time?

Thanks again.
You could be... especially if you have not prohibited bro from smoking or possessing pot in your home.

hogspot

Well...that's what I was wanting to know. I'm about to write up a list of rules for him and if he doesn't like them, he can find a new place to live.

Thanks for the help!

lifeandthelaw

By making this very post, you have already admitted to complicity to your brother's crimes (you have knowledge of the controlled substance and allow him to utilize your space to partake in his criminal activities). Complicity is a criminal charge which (depending on just how much marijuana or other criminal activities your brother is charged with on any given day) could be a felony. Forget about probation - you could be facing prison.

Let me give you some *really* good but *really* cheap advice: Use your common sense. You are preparing for a professional certification, which implies that you have some level of post-high school education. You already know that your brother's activities are criminal, and you are asking what the potential implications are for you. Why even risk criminal charges against yourself for the sake of your brother's addiction?

Kick your brother out of your garage, and if you want to go the extra mile, help him kick his drug addiction through appropriate treatment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">