• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about weed charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Redline4850

Hi i recently got arrested for a very small amount of weed and have court in about a week.
I was already on supervision for 18 months for the same charge of a gram of weed.
What kind of sentence am i looking at considering i was already previously arrested for the same thing and was on supervision. i dont plan on getting a lawyer and is this a smart idea. Any info would be greatly appreciated so i can have some idea what to expect so i dont feel so stressed out. Thank you.
I dont know if this would make a difference but i live in chicago.

Last edited:

The Occultist

Firstly, you posted on a weekday when the majority of the country is working, and was surprised when nobody responded within an hour. Can we say impatient?

Anyways, without knowing exactly what your previous charge is, or this one, we can only guess at your situation, but you may be looking at some jail time, and if not, definitely a higher fine than before, with a much more strict probation.

A local attorney knows what the courts like to hear, and thus can increase your chances of getting off somewhat more lightly.

Redline4850

Firstly, you posted on a weekday when the majority of the country is working, and was surprised when nobody responded within an hour. Can we say impatient?

Anyways, without knowing exactly what your previous charge is, or this one, we can only guess at your situation, but you may be looking at some jail time, and if not, definitely a higher fine than before, with a much more strict probation.

A local attorney knows what the courts like to hear, and thus can increase your chances of getting off somewhat more lightly.
Well the first charge was for a pipe and the second charge was for having a gram of weed.
Yeah it just seems like alot of people use this site so i thought would have gotten a response faster. im not positve but i think both charges are class C misdemeaners and the more recent arrest might be a city ordinace ticket.

FlyingRon

Well, chances are you blew your probation. You may have to face the music for that.
The second offense could be up to 30 days and $1500 fine.

You also very stupidly blew your chance to have the original conviction dismissed (if you had obeyed your probation, you would have been eligible).

Redline4850

Well, chances are you blew your probation. You may have to face the music for that.
The second offense could be up to 30 days and $1500 fine.

You also very stupidly blew your chance to have the original conviction dismissed (if you had obeyed your probation, you would have been eligible).
I dont know if probation and supervision are the same but i was on supervision. I really dont think jail would really come into play at this time considering charges are for minimal amounts. I really hope its just a fine. I have asked friends who have gotten arrested for the same thing and they all tell me im looking at fines and possibly drug school.

FlyingRon

I dont know if probation and supervision are the same but i was on supervision. I really dont think jail would really come into play at this time considering charges are for minimal amounts. I really hope its just a fine. I have asked friends who have gotten arrested for the same thing and they all tell me im looking at fines and possibly drug school.
Probation and supervision are words for the same thing.
Your friends have multiple convictions? Goody.
48 hours is not unheard of, a month would be at the discretion of the judge.
It's only the first offense that they MUST give you probation rather than locking you up.

Redline4850

Probation and supervision are words for the same thing.
Your friends have multiple convictions? Goody.
48 hours is not unheard of, a month would be at the discretion of the judge.
It's only the first offense that they MUST give you probation rather than locking you up.
Yes i have friends that have multiple convictions but it from years ago. Im 22 and have never really been in any trouble besides these two arrests and the first one wasnt so much my fault. I was at a buddies school and everyone at the party got caught. I really just dont know what to expect and appreciate you answering my questions. I work full time and the stress of work and this is driving me nuts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">